(Photo Illustration) A student drives her car while talking to someone on the phone. This violates Kelsey’s Law which prohibits drivers from using their cell phone while driving.
Scholarship rewards $5,000 to high school students for bringing awareness to distracted teen driving
Sophia Wrzesinski and Flora HarperMarch 21, 2024

The Kelsey’s Law scholarship is open for submissions until Mar. 31. Hosted by the Michigan Auto Law, the scholarship awards a total of $5,000...

What are Your Spring Break Plans?
What are Your Spring Break Plans?
Isaac Atkinson and Stan ThomasMarch 21, 2024

Red Cross Supervisor Cindy Vandermeer prepares Teya Dawson for her blood donation. Dawson was a first-time donor.
NHS hosts a successful blood drive, saving lives in and out of the community
Isabella Figueroa, Chief Copy Editor • March 21, 2024

“My dad and my mom both needed blood products when they were still living, so it's just really important to me so that the blood stays local,”...

Students Express Their Feelings Towards Reading

Junior Marquis Norman reads a book in the library. Norman likes to read during SSR.

By Lars Johnson

Some high school students have read whole Shakespearian sagas, while others are still struggling through the pages of Clifford the Big Red Dog. Here at Loy Norrix the type of literature students read has a very large spectrum. Some of the students have more advanced views on books than others.

One student appeared to have open disdain for reading, and did not seem to have very much respect for books.

“My favorite books are the ones I don’t have to read,” said freshman Marshall Mead.

Unfortunately, there are many teenagers that share similar beliefs to this. According to the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), the average 15 to 24 year old spends about two hours watching television and only about seven minutes of leisure time reading per day.

Mead bluntly responded no to the question of whether or not he even liked to read. A constant decline in high school students’ interest in reading has become very evident recently. The NEA released a study that less than one-third of thirteen year olds are daily readers, a figure that dropped 14% from a study taken twenty years ago.

Some teenagers however do take interest in reading. Sierra Ritsema said that she read fiction, non-fiction, science fiction and anime.

“I read them because I like different styles of writing,” said Ritsema.

It should be kept in mind that by increasing your literary knowledge you will most likely get a better grade on standardized tests such as the SAT (according to www.sat-coach.com).

The novels assigned for school projects have a wide range, which span from classics such as Romeo and Juliet to slightly more unfamiliar books such as The Adventures of Ibn Battuta.  Many students enjoy reading and can handle these somewhat heavy works of literature. Others dislike having to read for school.

“It takes up too much time,” said Mead.

From this small sample of students who were interviewed, it can be seen that there is great diversity in the reading habits of students at Loy Norrix.

View Comments (2)