(Photo Illustration) A student drives her car while talking to someone on the phone. This violates Kelsey’s Law which prohibits drivers from using their cell phone while driving.
Scholarship rewards $5,000 to high school students for bringing awareness to distracted teen driving
Sophia Wrzesinski and Flora HarperMarch 21, 2024

The Kelsey’s Law scholarship is open for submissions until Mar. 31. Hosted by the Michigan Auto Law, the scholarship awards a total of $5,000...

What are Your Spring Break Plans?
What are Your Spring Break Plans?
Isaac Atkinson and Stan ThomasMarch 21, 2024

Red Cross Supervisor Cindy Vandermeer prepares Teya Dawson for her blood donation. Dawson was a first-time donor.
NHS hosts a successful blood drive, saving lives in and out of the community
Isabella Figueroa, Chief Copy Editor • March 21, 2024

“My dad and my mom both needed blood products when they were still living, so it's just really important to me so that the blood stays local,”...

Students Choose Loy Norrix Over Private Schools

Junior Anthony Foti, and brothers, senior Matt and freshman Andrew Streitel, make the most of their education here in Kalamazoo Public Schools.

By Mataya Simmons

“I woke up in the morning not knowing what I was getting myself into. I walked into Norrix, it was a true culture shock,” said freshman, Andrew Streitel.

Andrew came from St. Monica, a private school in Kalamazoo. He switched to Loy Norrix because of the Kalamazoo Promise.

Andrew’s brother, senior Matthew Streitel, has attended Loy Norrix his whole High School career. From 3rd grade to 8th Grade he attended St. Monica Catholic School. Matthew also switched to Norrix for the Kalamazoo Promise.

“A private school, you are being sheltered from being out in life and coming here gives you a good outlook on life,” said Matthew.

Private schools tend to have less diversity, only accounting for over 25 percent of the nation’s schools and enroll about 10 percent of all students. The kids that attend a private school would not be prepared to handle a diverse world. At a public school there is plenty of diversity, preparing kids to know how to handle all different walks of life.

Not only are the hallways diverse but so are the courses available for students. The courses provide plenty of opportunities for different types of experiences. Public schools provide courses like cosmetology, computers, child development, management, etc.

“You are more free here,” said Matthew.

In contrast, Private schools have a good sense of community and provide great future opportunities. Parents and teachers are more involved and stay connected. Going to a private school will open up many doors, colleges and jobs will see that you are much more prepared because of the advances in a private school.

The cost of private schools is fairly expensive, not just any person can attend. According to www.capnet.org, the average tuition is around $8,549 for all grade levels.

“It is ridiculous,” said Matthew.

The cost is a huge factor in limiting the diversity in private schools. “It has gone up every year and there is no reason for it,” said Matthew.

“I can’t see how people can afford the cost to have their kids go through kindergarten all the way to high school without going into debt,” said freshman, Andrew Streitel. Andrew is Matthew’s younger brother and has also attended St. Monica.

Going to a private school is an experience. Depending on the person, it could be a good or bad one.

“The different types of people here at Norrix make your high school career so much more satisfying,” Said Mathew.