Loy Norrix Students Celebrate Alternative Spirit Days

Creator of the "Alternative Spirit Week", senior Keith Toornman, is pictured with fellow senior Veronica Olan. Olan chose to participate in the regular Spirit Week and dress like a rabbit, but still approves of the "Alternative Spirit Week". Photo by Leah Rathbun

It’s Winterfest spirit week again. Loy Norrix students are encouraged to dress exuberantly to build up excitement before the game and the dance on Friday. Monday was neon day, and on Tuesday students were encouraged to wear pink or red in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. Wednesday is animal day, so expect to see a lot of girls dressed as cats. On Thursday students will wear blue or white to show school spirit at the pep rally, and Friday is retro day.

Some students seem to feel that the school sanctioned spirit days are a bit dull for their tastes and have decided to show school spirit in different styles. Over the past weekend about 500 Norrix students were invited to a Facebook event entitled “A Spirit Week That Doesn’t Suck”. The event was created by senior Keith Toornman and is an alternative to the school’s spirit week, with the following themes:

Monday: Star Wars Day

Tuesday: Zombie Apocalypse Day

Wednesday: Superhero Day

Thursday: Dress Like Your Favorite Dead Person Day

Friday: Summer Attire Day

Junior Tasia Heintzelman was in class with Toornman last week when talk of the alternative spirit week first started. Heintzelman also participated in Star Wars day on Monday by dressing as Jedi Master Yoda.

Heintzelman said, “I think that the spirit week days this year were pretty lame, and the alternative ones are just a lot more interesting and fun.”

Senior Marissa Klee-Peregon wore the makeup of Queen Amadala.

Klee-Peregon said, “[Dressing up for the alternative spirit days] requires more thought and creativity than just wearing a certain color. I like dressing up.”