Adjusting to American culture is the hardest part of being an exchange student. FLEX (Future Leaders Exchange) students from all over United States listed the funiest and most interesting facts they have learned about Americans during their experience here. Hopefully, the list will help any other foreigners to be prepared to come to the U.S.
1. Download Urban Dictionary to your phone and carry it with you at all times. There is no way to understand American slang without it.
2.If you see pants falling off the guys, don’t tell them. Sagging is swag.
3. Piles of garbage in the car is OK.
4. Water? What’s water? Drink Coke!
5. Wear sweatpants all the time.
6. The louder the music in the car, the cooler you are.
7. No twerking, no grinding, no hands on the floor, girl.
8. Flags! American flags are everywhere.
9. Scientists were lying, you can use sanitizer. It’s not dangerous.
10. “How are you” isn’t a question to answer. It’s just politeness.
11. Americans can spend huge amounts of money only on one pair of shoes.
12. It’s impossible to memorize all names. Just call everyone dude, girl, man and bro.
13. Wearing PJ’s to school is high fashion.
14. Students don’t use lockers as often as you see in American movies.
15. Be careful with saying something in your language, because some teachers can understand it. (Caution! Lowrie knows Russian!)
16. People will call you by your country. (Anna “Ukraine” sounds good. I like that.)
17. When you’ll see girl in the same dress as you are wearing, yell “twinning” and do not fight with her (as girls do in your own country).
18. Post photos of food on Instagram. Everyone has at least one picture of salad or dessert they had.
19. A lot of people will ask you to teach them some bad words in your language.
20. You have an accent, even if someone says that you don’t.