Women Studies class to be offered at Loy Norrix

Credit: Jeanie Gould-McElhone

Senior Emma Hilgart-Griff and teacher Rebecca Layton discuss the womens studies curriculum. The class is a mix of political science, psychology and womens history.

Jeanie Gould-McElhone, Arts and Entertainment Editor

In the 2020-21 school year there will be a new class students can take at Loy Norrix that was recently approved by the KPS Board of Education on Thursday, December 5th. The new class is a women’s studies course that has been in the works by LN senior Emma Hilgart-Griff and alumni Isaac Moss since 2016. 

Psychology and Sociology teacher, Rebbeca Layton, who will be teaching the class next fall said, “It [the women’s studies class] gives another option and fills in some of the blanks in history that some classes don’t cover, and I hope it sparks a passion of looking at the world in different groups.”  

Hilgart-Griff strongly encourages students to take the class. “Take the class,” she said enthusiastic about this new opportunity. 

Not only will the class discuss impactful women in history but will also encourage  conversations about women around the world but also teaching students about different cultures. 

The class is a one trimester course that will give students a .5 social studies credit.