The movie rundown you didn’t know you needed

Credit: Gigi Fox

Gigi Fox, Web Editor

If you’re anything like me, these past few months have been filled with sleeping, eating, and endless movie watching. This time off can seem long-drawn and boring if you don’t have things to do to ease your mind. 

Movies can transport you to a different decade, country, or even dimension. They allow you to experience things that one would never have the chance to do any other way. For those two hours, you can be a wizard hanging out with Harry Potter or you could be the 4th Sanderson sister from “Hocus Pocus.” Really, the options are limitless.

One of my all-time favorite movies is the cult classic, 1988 Heathers.” Three high school girls, all with the name, Heather, are popular as they may be and evil to the core. Their friend Veronica, however, is not like them. 

Veronica befriends the new boy in school and ends up going on a suicide killing spree. The modern-day Bonnie and Clyde, if you will, murdering their classmates and staging them as suicides. The film stars Winona Ryder and Christian Slater in their prime. Many other supporting characters got their start in this movie, such as Phill Lewis (Mr. Moseby from The Suite Life of Zack and Cody) and Shannen Doherty (Prue from Charmed). This movie will have you confused, sad, and excited all at once. The very first time I watched it, I was so obsessed that I rewatched it three more times.

Another genius production is “Catch Me If You Can.” Starring Leonardo Decaprio and Tom Hanks. If that doesn’t already interest you, there’s no hope. A sixteen-year-old boy, Frank Abagnaile Jr., is forced to choose between his mom and dad after they decide to get a divorce. He eventually runs away from home. 

Frank Abagnaile Jr. scams and frauds his way into millions of dollars while being chased by the FBI. Frank cons his way into jobs as a pilot, doctor, and lawyer, all while writing fake checks and profiting off of them. After two years of being on the run, he is finally caught and is given a job working for the FBI. I haven’t even gotten to the best part of it all — it is based on a true story. You may be thinking that I gave away the whole movie but trust me there’s no spoiling it. 

The last movie worth mentioning is “The Silence of the Lambs.” Three words used to describe it are disturbing, brilliant, and thrilling. 

A young FBI agent in training, Clarice Starling, is chosen to interview a cannibal serial-killer, Hannable Lector, in the hope he will have information on a new killer on the loose. Hannable takes a special liking to Clarice and helps her track down the killer, Buffalo Bill, who is based on Ted Bundy, Edward Gein, and Jerry Brudos. 

Buffalo Bill has kidnapped the governor’s daughter and skinned several other victims. He sews their skin together to make a skin suit. Clarice goes on a man-hunt to find Bill and hopefully save the victim. 

This movie stars Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins. Before filming, Jodie Foster spent several months training with the FBI preparing for the role. The FBI was very interested in the movie in hopes that more females would be interested in becoming agents. 

Movies are our window into another world and with this uncertain time, anything to keep busy is welcomed. That’s the good thing about movies, no matter how many times you watch it, the movie itself never changes but you are always noticing new things.