How swim has impacted senior Maya Moore

Senior Maya Moore competing at one of her many events against Mattawan.

Isabella Ramsdell

As we know, there are many different sports teams and extracurriculars at school, but we’re gonna look into Senior Maya Moore’s life and how she developed a passion for swimming.
“One of my friends was doing it and I thought it would be fun,” said Maya Moore, an upperclassmen at Loy Norrix High School.
Maya has had a lot of experiences since she joined the swim team. Doing swim has helped with mindset growth, confidence, teamwork, and much more.
Moore has had a passion for swimming since fourth grade. Moore’s passion for swimming has led her to many accomplishments and has helped her learn and grow as a person. Moore has been swimming for about nine years now and plans to continue.

While being on the team, Moore has had many achievements .
“One of the best moments was during my sophomore year when I got the first school record in a relay,” Moore said.
Another accomplishment of Moore’s and the swim team as a whole, was beating Portage Central and Bridgeman for the first time in Norrix history on October 15th 2020. According to Ellie Haase’s article “Lady Knights swimming and diving make history during the pandemic”, “The swim team swam against 6 teams as of October 15th and so far is undefeated.”

Swim has also been a growth period for Moore.“Never give up and always turn failure into a lesson, because whenever I was in a failing moment, I didn’t give up.” Moore said.
Moore’s event she’s best at includes freestyle and butterfly. Moore makes sure that she is giving her best and putting in her effort, even when things get difficult.
“One struggle I had was not making it to my conference my freshman year of high school,” said Moore. However, she trained hard after her loss and returned next year as a faster athlete.
Moore is in her last year of highschool and is going to start applying to colleges. One of the articles she wrote for college was inspired by her being one of the few minorities on the team. Now, Moore has an amazing team of people who have been a part of her growth and all of her adventures.