Students get down on the dance floor at the first Winter Formal in two years

Credit: Hannah Locke

Sophomore Zoey Alden enjoys the Winter Formal dance. This is Aldens first high school dance, after having her freshman year online.

Gigi Fox, Web Editor

Saturday, December 4 was the Loy Norrix Winter Formal dance. After almost two years of dealing with COVID-19, having a school dance was a much needed break of normalcy for LN students. 

“I enjoyed being at a dance for the first time in over three years,” said senior Lillian Daniels. Daniels had not attended a Loy Norrix dance since her freshman year but decided to go because she thought it would be fun. 

In years past, dances have been canceled due to lack of tickets sold. This year, however, the Winter Formal had over 300 guests in attendance. 

“It was great to be in an environment with all of my friends and not have to stress out about school for a few hours,” said senior Gavin Gardner. 

While the dance was semi-formal attire which excluded tennis shoes and jeans. For some, tennis shoes would have been a game-changer. Many people that wore heels soon regretted it after dancing a little too hard. This was evident in the spread of shoes along the cafeteria wall and the bare feet on the dance floor. 

“It felt like everyone that was there felt really happy to be there, except people that wore terrible shoes like me,” said senior Emma Borden. 

After having the homecoming dance canceled in the fall, people were itching to get their dance on, and after the fantastic turnout of the winter formal, a new dance standard has been set. 

“I just had a good time, and I would do it again,” said junior Percy Gordon.