Lady Knights basketball has very successful “Senior Knight”

Credit: Gigi Fox
Senior Ella Boyea shoots a three-pointer in the third quarter. Teammate Vicky McGowan watches as the shot is nothing but net.

Donovan Wilson, Sports Editor

On Monday, February 21, the Loy Norrix men’s and women’s basketball teams took the court. For the seniors it was their final home game, a very emotional final game. 

The Lady Knights took the court first against Union City (MI) with a senior send-off. The Knights started the game with all 6 seniors on the court to allow them to technically “start” in their final game.

First Quarter:

• Senior guard Vicky McGowan scored the first points of the game with a wide open layup
  • The Lady Knights started the game off strong against Union City and took a 14 to 3 lead with 3 minutes left in the first quarter.
  • After a very fast-paced, action-packed start to the game, the Knights led Union City 15 to 7.

Second Quarter:

• McGowan started the second quarter by getting fouled but still managed to score for an “and-1” play, giving the Lady Knights an 18 to 7 lead.
  • McGowan drained the first three-pointer of the game, 23 to 9 lead for the Knights.
  • After multiple Union City turnovers, the Lady Knights capitalized off the turnovers and began to take total control of the game. The Knights have a 29 to 11 lead with 4 minutes left in the second quarter.
  • Coming off a Union City timeout, senior forward Tori Hoppe got a block that led to a fastbreak layup on the other end of the court by senior guard Ella Boyea, giving the Knights a 34 to 11 lead.
  • At halftime the Lady Knights led 40 to 17.
  • McGowan led the team with 8 points followed by Boyea with 7 points.

Third Quarter:

•  Boyea started the third quarter with a layup giving the Knights a 42 to 17 lead.
  • Throughout the third quarter, Union City tried to mount a comeback by scoring 8 straight, but the Knights took control over the game once again.
  • At the end of the third quarter the Lady Knights led 58 to 29.

Fourth Quarter:

• The Lady Knights maintained their lead for the remainder of the fourth quarter, picking up a 79-43 victory against Union City.
  • Leading scorers:

Sophomore Kennedy Lockett led the Lady Knights with 14 points

Senior guard Vicky McGowan had 13 points

Senior forward Meya Vines had 13

Senior guard Karina Gutierrez had 10

After a strong victory by the women’s basketball team, it was time for the men’s team to take the court against Tri-Unity Christian.