DECA brings home the glass award and prepares to compete in Atlanta while forensics starts the season off strong

Credit: Cherise Ward

DECA team takes pictures after the State Career Development Conference that takes place in Detroit, Michigan.

Ari'el Abbott, Twitter Editor

Over the weekend of March 10, 2022, the Loy Norrix chapter of DECA and the forensics teams competed against multiple schools in separate competitions; they did not disappoint. 

DECA can teach students the next leaders of the generation to be skilled in categories such as marketing, finance, hospitality, and management in high school and college. 

The Norrix chapter competed on Thursday, March 10, and Friday, March 11, giving their all to succeed in their competitions. Five students won their respective events.

In the Career Development event, sophomores Aliah Ward and Nataya Thomas won. In School-Based Enterprise, senior Chanel Wilson and junior Wendy Miedema took home the win. And finally, sophomore Arturo Pinto won in the Virtual Game: Sports Management event.

“I am so proud of my team this year. The dream of having a team bigger than five has happened. I never thought that I would be able to take such a big group to Detroit and then advance forward,” said Atiba Ward, DECA advisor. 

These competitors have worked hard to get past the first three levels and will now be competing in Atlanta, Georgia, the week of April 23 at the International Career Development Conference. 

More success for LN came when Forensics competed at the Portage Northern Invitational, placing third overall. Forensics had eight winners in their respective events:

For the Duo event, sophomore Braeden Davis and junior Yacine Lo won second place and Ellen Terzino and Catie Frink won first place. In Impromptu, senior Elias Nagel-Bennet placed second. For Broadcasting, seniors Liam Braun and Hollis Masterson were finalists. For Poetry, Meg Elfring took fifth place overall. 

We were very excited when we found out we did well, and this will give us confidence in future events,” said Davis.

This is just the beginning of the season for Forensics and a smooth ending for the DECA season, but both teams are proud of their accomplishments.