Loy Norrix football starts the season off strong with a win over rival Kalamazoo Central

Quarterback+James+Rocco+drops+back+to+the+10+yard+line+in+the+1st+quarter.+He+prepares+to+make+a+pass+as+the+KC+defense+approaches+him.+

Credit: Frank Rocco

Quarterback James Rocco drops back to the 10 yard line in the 1st quarter. He prepares to make a pass as the KC defense approaches him.

Naysa Quinones, Sports Editor

On Thursday, Sep 1, the Loy Norrix varsity football team suited up for the long awaited rivalry game against Kalamazoo Central. Not many Loy Norrix students were optimistic about the outcome of the game. The Knights had not beat Central since 2017.

“Going into the game, I was just trying to make sure everyone stayed focused and got the job done,” said quarterback and senior James Rocco. 

The game started off strong: senior Jaydon Ruiz scored a touchdown for Loy Norrix on their first drive. The success continued when Rocco threw the ball to junior Cedric Huntley for a two point conversion right after, bringing the score up to 8-0. 

Later in the first quarter, Kalamazoo Central fired back with a touchdown of their own, followed by a field goal, bringing the score up to 8-7. 

Both teams held a strong defense and no other touchdowns were scored. The final score was 8-7, giving the Loy Norrix Knights their long awaited victory. 

“I think the win against Kalamazoo Central will give us momentum for the rest of the season,” said Rocco. “Hopefully we can come out on top of a couple more games this year.” 

Not only were the students ecstatic about the win, Head Coach Lorenzo Robertson was extremely proud of his team as well. 

“The win over KC means that a standard is set for Loy Norrix football,” said Robertson, “It says that 5 years of being the winless little brother across town is over.”