Sophia Wrzesinski and Flora HarperMarch 21, 2024

Isaac Atkinson and Stan ThomasMarch 21, 2024

A Different Kind of Delay for Spring Sports

Sophomore Olivia VandePol, freshman Travis Grube, and Junior Darvious Wallace all sit and wait for a delayed track meet.

As the flowers blossom, the trees sprout leaves, and the grass gets greener, there’s no better time than to play in the spring sports season. Although during this season, there is a more difficult challenge. Since spring sports take place during the last trimester of the year, the sports teams have crammed schedules that involve playing/participating in 2+ games, matches, or meets in a single week. This year the games will be continuing beyond the seniors final day and even the last days for the rest of the students, which include all the varsity teams district and state finals.
What does this mean for students? It means they miss school for the sport they’re participating in. Although it is always fun to have a day off of school, is it really fun when all that makeup work comes back and bears more weight and stress on your shoulders in the last weeks of the school year?
Sophomore Tanner Franklin plays for the varsity golf team in the spring and said, “Sometimes, but the problem with it is that there’s usually lot of work to make up.”
Sophomore Tanner Franklin plays for the varsity golf team in the spring. When asked if he likes to miss school to play golf, Franklin said, “Sometimes, but the problem with it is that there’s usually a lot of work to make up.”
Even though Franklin is participating in a school event on a school’s team, he is still challenged by the amount of make up work he has to do. Throughout this golf season, Franklin and the rest of the varsity golfers will have missed up to 6 days of school. That’s over a whole week of work to make up for students that are already feeling the stress of the last trimester.
Franklin isn’t the only one that has to deal with make up work because of being on a school team. Sophomore Olivia VanderPol runs track in the spring and understand the hardship of missing school for a track meet.
“Holy cow do I have lots of makeup work! I don’t think teachers understand that students, when they are out for a legit cause like a spring sport, shouldn’t have to make up work, we don’t even have enough time for the normal homework we get,” said VandePol.
VanderPol and the rest of the track team will only miss two full day of school, but will miss some fourth and fifth hours due to traveling to away meets.
Physics teacher, Trevor Stefanick, said, “My view on it is you’re here for school, there’s no legit reason to miss school. When you make that choice to play sports, you have to live with the consequences. Life sucks, get over it.”
As the end of spring sports season continues to edge closer and closer, seniors and rest of the athletes participating in spring sports must get their make up work done before the school year is out.
The last day for seniors is May 30th, and the last day for the rest of the students is Thurs. June 12th and the only other games that will be happening beyond that will be districts and state finals for all sports.