(Photo Illustration) A student drives her car while talking to someone on the phone. This violates Kelsey’s Law which prohibits drivers from using their cell phone while driving.
Scholarship rewards $5,000 to high school students for bringing awareness to distracted teen driving
Sophia Wrzesinski and Flora HarperMarch 21, 2024

The Kelsey’s Law scholarship is open for submissions until Mar. 31. Hosted by the Michigan Auto Law, the scholarship awards a total of $5,000...

What are Your Spring Break Plans?
What are Your Spring Break Plans?
Isaac Atkinson and Stan ThomasMarch 21, 2024

Red Cross Supervisor Cindy Vandermeer prepares Teya Dawson for her blood donation. Dawson was a first-time donor.
NHS hosts a successful blood drive, saving lives in and out of the community
Isabella Figueroa, Chief Copy Editor • March 21, 2024

“My dad and my mom both needed blood products when they were still living, so it's just really important to me so that the blood stays local,”...

Senioritis Catches up with Norrix Seniors during the Home Stretch

cassidy
Cassidy Hann surfs the web at lunch time, she often find herself on her phone instead of doing work because of senioritis. Senioritis is very common in the 12th grade, and sometimes hard to get rid of. Photo Credit / Rachel Wheat

After three years of early mornings and homework, students hit that fourth year, the home stretch, and senioritis strikes. By senior year it is common that a student has often spent 12-13 years of their life in school. As students end or continue their education, its hard for them not to become burnt out.
With ACTs done, college acceptance letters having arrived and the end so near, seniors lose sight of their goals.
According to the College board Website, “Colleges may reserve the right to deny admission to an accepted applicant should the student’s senior-year grades drop” leaving many students who fail to work hard the last semester in jeopardy of losing a spot at their future school.
Students doing their homework during lunch and studying for a test an hour before are typical symptoms of senioritis. Seniors choose Netflix and friends over homework which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it’s also not a good thing.
Is this actually a real thing or is it just laziness? Senioritis is laziness. But the amount of laziness increases as the years go by.
“I have had senioritis since freshman year,” senior Sydney Nephew explained.
“School seems easier, but I just don’t want to do the work,” said Emily Worline
With the idea of school ending, senioritis looms over the 12th graders, but it can often create problems and have a negative impact in the long run. Students must remember that colleges look at transcripts after the students are admitted. College admission offices are not oblivious to laziness and senioritis brought on by the last trimester of senior year.
According the the website proquest there is a “negative impact of the senior slump on students’ efforts to prepare for postsecondary education and training”.
Senior year for most people, is not the last year of education, people go to technical school and college or go into training for a new job. Senior year is looked at as a blow off year, but it might be one of the most crucial years of high school. So be careful to not get a case of senioritis. the home stretch, and senioritis strikes. By senior year it is common that a student has often spent 12-13 years of their life in school. As students further their education, its hard for them not to become burnt out.