Sophomore Z Freed conducts blood tests in science class.  Freed finds that doodling on herself or her papers for schools helps her to stay focused and understand the material better.
Teens use art to express their emotions and feelings
Faye Radley, Guest Writer • April 15, 2024

It was the middle a weekend afternoon and Torin Radley, a teenage artist, was excited about making a new "Dungeons and Dragons" character. Radley...

Faye Radley sits in their journalism class working on the latest assignment. A brightly colored pen spins like clockwork in their non-dominant hand.
Fidgeting is a useful tool for students to focus
Elli Kastner, Guest Writer • April 12, 2024

As you shuffle into class for an important assignment, your non-dominant hand begins to rhythmically tap the golden-brown wood of your desk while...

Womens JV basketball player, Jaela Moncrief shoots a free throw at a game late in the season. Moncrief often balances school basketball with travel basketball.
Travel sports are better than school sports
Jazlyn Hagan, Guest Writer • April 11, 2024

Playing sports is fun, especially when you are playing at the level of competition you want. While people enjoy playing both travel and school...

10 Things To Do Over Winter Break

As students pass by in the halls, senior Alle Ellis sits against a glass case full of trophies, taking a break from band practice. Ellis ponders the upcoming winter break and is excited to tackle the inviting stack of feminist and social justice books waiting at her bedside.
“I’m going to be eating a lot of chocolate and cookies and I’m really excited! Holiday break is the best,” said Ellis.
We all know the feeling. With the start of new trimesters, students are full of anxiety as they deal with new classes and new teachers. Luckily, winter break is right around the corner for Loy Norrix students, from December 21st to January 1st. It’s an opportunity for teens to collect themselves and take in their new classes before the inevitable heavy workload is piled on them.
Many students are determined to have fun this winter break, wanting to do more than they can during school.
“This year my goal is to get out more. Seriously, hanging out with people that I didn’t hang out with last time,” said Ellis.
For some, although the break is coming up fast, they still aren’t sure of what they will be doing aside from visiting family and relaxing at home.
“[I’m] probably going and hanging out with family. I don’t really do a lot so there’s not really plans,” said senior Chayne Maize, “Christmas is so far away, but it’s close. I don’t know what’s gonna happen.”
If you’re going to be stuck this winter break with nothing to do, grab a few friends or your family and try something from this list:

• There will be a Post-It Note Art Show the entire month of December. This is a chance to create your own art piece on a Post-It Note that will be displayed with hundreds of other peoples own work on New Year’s Eve.
  • There will be a free In the Dark event happening at the Kalamazoo Valley Museum that can be attended until January 17th. Investigate the darks wondrous mysteries with electrical, mechanical, and computer interactive walk-throughs and dioramas. Learn how animals and humans have evolved from the dark.
  • Mustard Plug, all-ages, concert at the Intersection Grand Rapids, at 6 p.m. on the 19th of December. Tickets are $10 in advance but $12 the day of the show.
  • Invite friends over for a day of baking cookies. Each person brings a recipe and ingredients and at the end of the day you go home with all different kinds of cookies.
  • Take a nature walk and find time to reflect and take in the winter scenery and changes taking place around you. Walk around Milham Park, the Al Sabo Lake Preserve, or the Kalhaven Bike Trail.
  • Volunteer at Ministry with Community by serving meals to people who don’t have anywhere to go or anyone to be with during the holidays. Volunteer at senior communities to spend time with senior citizens. Go caroling for them or help with gift wrapping services. To volunteer you can contact Ali Kole, the Development Coordinator and Volunteer, at 343-6073 ext. 15.
  • Try something new and participate in a winter activity you have never done. Sledding, skiing at Timber Ridge, or even ice skating at the Lawson Ice Arena and Gabel Auditorium on weekdays for $3 with a $1 skate rental, or on weekends for $1 with a $1 skate rental.
  • On December 31st, the 30th Anniversary of the Kalamazoo New Year’s Fest will be held at Bronson Park showing our holiday spirit and coming together as a community to celebrate another new year and the beauty of art. Bands, tribute artists, specialty acts, and jazz bands will be performing.
  • Frock swap! Gather all of the clothes you don’t wear anymore and a few friends. Put all of the clothes into a big pile and trade. You get to go home with a bunch of new clothes, all for free!
  • Do an anonymous random act of kindness. Pay it forward for someone in the drive thru and encourage someone to do the same.  

No matter what you’re doing this winter break, have fun, be safe and have a happy holiday!