As students walk the halls on their way to their classes, theyre reminded that there are staff who are safe to tell. If they are experiencing abuse, harassment, mental health declines or other struggles, they can reach out to the teachers who have these teal ribbons displayed in their classrooms.
If you’re being harassed, look around for the Safe2Tell stickers
Grace Lovely, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

You were sitting in class, getting ready for the test that you were about to take. You felt something on your arm, but you brushed it off. It...

Its the last week of school, and Saul Quintero and Anderson Flores Aguilar are glad. Together, they study for their final exam in English so that they can finish it on time.
Foreign exchange students experience fewer school restrictions in the United States
Ashley Lopez, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

Imagine stepping into another country where the cultural tradition, education system and even daily life are different from what you were used...

From helpful to harmful: AI’s interference in the classroom
Alexander Velo and Finn BankstonJune 8, 2024

Since the dawn of technology, the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has intrigued the technology and science community. It started with...

The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day

Credit: Rosie Hill
A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth of social media and the COVID-19 pandemic have all limited our opportunities to be a part of our community and get outside.
The Westnedge Hill neighborhood is no stranger to these difficulties. With construction on Westnedge and the consequent build up of traffic, the neighborhood hasn’t had its usual spring liveliness. Nevertheless, the community managed to come together to participate in one of the most anticipated events of the season: garage sale day.
“With COVID and now the construction, there have been a lot of changes, but I’m really proud of how people have adapted to it,” said shopper Abigail Strong-Morse. “I think it’s a really great event and it brings the neighborhood together a lot.”
Every year, people gather in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood on the first Saturday of May to sell old or unwanted items. This event brings flocks of people from all over Kalamazoo, looking to score some good deals.
Garage sale day is a great way to reconnect with your community, spend time outside and get rid of unwanted items.
“It’s like the first event in the spring when everyone comes out, so you haven’t seen people around for a few months, so it’s like a neighborhood reunion,” said Alma Muxlow, who has been selling at garage sale days for the past ten years.
“As people get involved, it’s fun to kind of take a break and walk around and see the neighbors come out of their homes,” added Catharine Ellis, who was selling with Muxlow.
The last few years have been very different for garage sale day, due to COVID. It seems like the garage sales have come back in full force this year, though people are still being cautious.
“On the first year we were back from COVID, everyone was wearing masks, everyone was following safety protocols,” said Strong-Morse. “Even now, people are being wary. There’s a lot less direct hand contact. Nobody’s asking to shake your hand.”
Garage sale days are a great way to find things you’ve been needing or pick up items you never knew you needed for a great price.
“There’s a few things that we’re looking for, but generally, we just like to walk around and see what people are trying to get rid of and find uses for them,” said shopper Aimee Klein. “We enjoy finding bargains.”
Many houses had tons of crafting and sports supplies, so it’s the perfect place to start a new hobby for cheap.
“The best thing I found, in terms of price, is some knitting supplies, which was like a dollar for some yarn and some knitting needles, which is really cheap and good,” said Strong-Morse. “But I also found some scented candles, a mug set and a Nerf gun.”
While selling can be difficult and tiring, people have come up with ways of managing. Many houses invite friends from other neighborhoods to sell things there, which can enhance the experience, as well as provide a fun way to get together with friends and spend time together.
“I don’t like garage sales as a rule, but it’s fun when we do it together,” said Ellis.