Loy Norrix Girls Prepare For Prom in Advance

Seniors Melissa Lee and Zacara Savage look at a book of prom dresses together. They are deciding what style dress they want. Photo Credit / Evelyn Banks
Seniors Melissa Lee and Zacara Savage look at a book of prom dresses together. They are deciding what style dress they want.
Photo Credit / Evelyn Banks

For many seniors and juniors prom is a very stressful time. You have to worry about what you’re going to wear, getting hair and nails done, finding a date, and securing a stylish ride  to roll up in. Some students go above and beyond by getting facials and body massages or sometimes even a whole makeover. Some people think it is obnoxious to spend so much money for a single event, but this is a once in a lifetime chance for some students and they want it to be memorable.
“I don’t think people should spend thousands of dollars for prom,” said junior Laquetta Moore. “You’re only going to wear the dress one time.”
There is so much to decide and plan for prom that some Loy Norrix students are putting things together for prom now.
“I know how I want my hair and nails for prom and I plan on going to JC Penny’s to get my makeup done,” said Moore.
“I have been looking up dresses and trying on dresses, to see what style best fits me and trying to figure out how I want my hair and makeup,” said senior Zacara Savage.
Prom isn’t until May 2nd, some may think it’s too early to get ready for prom, but others think that the time will be here before you know it.
“I think it’s a good idea to start thinking about things for prom, but don’t start buying things,” said Moore.
There are many places around town for students to go and look for dresses such as David’s Bridal, JC Penny’s, Bellisima Bridal and Memories. You can also go online; there area lot of websites with very affordable prom dresses and tuxedos, such as eduardosformal.com, idreamprom.com and Menswear House. If you plan on ordering your dress, it is especially important to do it ahead of time so alterations can be made and it can be shipped to you before the day of your prom. Even though there are many great places to go get dresses here in Kalamazoo, students like junior Maia Greer still like to keep their options open.
“I have been looking at dresses, but I am still deciding whether to get my dress here or out of town,” said junior Maia Greer.
It is no doubt that there are a lot of things that need to be done ready for prom. It may be four months away, but it is a good idea to prepare now so when the time comes, you won’t have to worry about so much. Decide on the little things like what style and color dress and shoes you want. Practice makeup and consider how you want your hair and everything else will come together.