Seniors, any advice for your underclassmen?
Tenaja White, Staff Writer • February 27, 2024

Photo taken by Jonathan Moreau from Flickr
A Year in Review: NFL fans around Loy Norrix reflect on their favorite team’s season
Max Berlin, Assistant Sports Editor • February 26, 2024

For many Norrix students, National Football League (NFL) Sundays are one of the most anticipated days of the week. Not many feelings can compare...

Henry Wilson and Michael McDonald discuss in refs position.  The wrestlers often talk through the movements while practicing.
Wrestling provides strength and discipline but demands dedication and hard work
Alexander Velo, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Out of all the after school activities Loy Norrix students can participate in, wrestling is one of the most time-and energy-consuming. After...

The Debate About PDA: Who Sees it as a Problem?

Two Norrix students hold each other in an embrace during lunch. Photo Cred / Hannah Stempky

There is nothing quite like the feeling that is young love. The butterflies in your stomach, the smile they put on your face, and excessive kissing in the hallway before class. With that in mind, it’s fair to say there is nothing quite like the sight of young love.
At Loy Norrix the opinions of what is considered to be too much public display of affection (PDA) vary. The faculty has now, more than ever, made a greater effort to minimize PDA the school with statements in reference to it on the morning announcements, but it’s presence still remains. In a survey of 111 students, 24 said they thought PDA was a problem at school with the rest saying they either didn’t care or see it as a problem.
“I don’t mind it generally,” said sophomore Nora Hilgart-Griff. “I don’t take issue with couples displaying affection. I do think it’s kind of absurd to need to kiss goodbye between every class, but hey, to each their own.”
Students will often find these affectionate couples as a minor obstacle in the hallway more so than an actual problem.
“I only really take issue with PDA when it becomes an impediment to me and my life, especially as an obstacle in the hallway. Slow-walking couples, hand holding, kissing or hugging couples in the middle of everything just make getting through the halls harder,” said Hilgart-Griff.
As for why couples feel the need to be overly affectionate, the answers vary. While developing teenage hormones can play a factor, but one of the more complicated reasons are that these couples have no other place to show these marks of affection. Some of these couples could be experiencing a Romeo-and-Juliet-type love with the family disapproval included. That considered, those participating in PDA are not always paying attention to their impact of the student body.
“A little peck is fine, but if you take it too far it can make people feel uncomfortable,” said social studies teacher Sean Bergan.
The biggest group at Loy Norrix opposition against PDA seems to be the teachers and staff. Many have found themselves confronting these touchy students in the hall and telling them that what they are doing is not appropriate.
“I’ve seen students showing a little more enthusiasm than one would like to see,” said Bergan, “You tell them to break it up and move along to class.”
Most teachers and staff do understand that romantic relationships are a part of high school social life, but many also feel that being romantic in public should be limited.
“A little goes a long way and there is a time and place for everything,” said Bergan.