Former Immigrant, Oscar Garcia living his day to day life. Garcia first immigrated to America in 1986.
Immigrant families face hardships when relocating
Lizzy Garcia, Guest Writer • April 19, 2024

In life, a handful of people are faced with making the decision of moving. Whether it be moving for job or education opportunities, a move like...

Tower Talk: What classes are you looking forward to next year?
Finn Bankston, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Students Need Adequate Supplies to be Germ Free.

Senior Claire VanderVelden washes hands through for 30 seconds to kill germs.  Photo Credit/ Ana Vanegas
Senior Claire VanderVelden washes hands throughly for 30 seconds to kill germs.
Photo Credit/ Ana Vanegas

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, about 2.2 million children under the age of 5 die each year from diseases associated with diarrhea and pneumonia. These are the top two killers of young children around the world, with no access to water or soap. Spread of germs can be prevented through washing hands thoroughly with soap for 30 seconds. Facilities like schools need to be sanitized to prevent the spread of illness and the spread of infections to others. Restrooms are the most important place to keep clean and sanitized.  A single gram of human feces—which is about the weight of a paper clip—can contain one trillion germs, according to CDC.
So what is Loy Norrix doing to maintain cleanliness in the restrooms and prevent the spread of germs? Senior Anasia Turner is not satisfied with cleanliness of the restrooms. “I should not have to deal with there being no soap and toilet paper in the bathroom at 7:00 a.m. I inform staff about it, but they wont fix it until three days after. That’s why I get sick so much,” Turner said. Teacher, Ryan Allen  is unsatisfied of cleanliness in restrooms. Experiencing the lack of soap and other supplies in the faculty restrooms as well. “We went through two years without soap, it was aggravating because we had to bring in our own soap.
Germs from unwashed hands can be transferred to other objects, like handrails, table tops, or electronics and then transferred to another person’s hands. Making sure soap and other supplies are well stocked in the bathroom is very important to students. Ignoring some of the important supplies in a restroom can affect students and staff in a major way. The best way to solve this is to make sure the supplies needed are provided to prevent the spread of germs.