As students walk the halls on their way to their classes, theyre reminded that there are staff who are safe to tell. If they are experiencing abuse, harassment, mental health declines or other struggles, they can reach out to the teachers who have these teal ribbons displayed in their classrooms.
If you’re being harassed, look around for the Safe2Tell stickers
Grace Lovely, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

You were sitting in class, getting ready for the test that you were about to take. You felt something on your arm, but you brushed it off. It...

Its the last week of school, and Saul Quintero and Anderson Flores Aguilar are glad. Together, they study for their final exam in English so that they can finish it on time.
Foreign exchange students experience fewer school restrictions in the United States
Ashley Lopez, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

Imagine stepping into another country where the cultural tradition, education system and even daily life are different from what you were used...

From helpful to harmful: AI’s interference in the classroom
Alexander Velo and Finn Bankston June 8, 2024

Since the dawn of technology, the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has intrigued the technology and science community. It started with...

AP Studio Art Students Gain High Marks at Portfolio Day

By Adam Kemp

AP Art student Macey Withrow works on her art piece in preparation for the next portfolio day. Photo by Adam Kemp

Loy Norrix AP Studio Art students had the great opportunity of having their art critiqued by college representatives on October 13th, when they went to the annual portfolio day at the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts.

Seven of AP art teacher Cindy Vanlieu’s seniors received snap enrollment for their portfolios, including seniors Marissa Klee-Peragon, Rogelio Almaguer, Josue Sanchez-Orduna, and Jessica Allen. Almaguer also received a scholarship to Kendall College of Art and Design, and three sophomores were invited to attend advanced high school summer art programs. Vanlieu’s students have a tendency to stand out among other schools’ students at portfolio showings.

“I know that my students’ portfolios are outstanding because we do specifically what the professors ask for, which is drawing from observation,” said Vanlieu.

AP Studio Art students appreciate the constructive criticism they receive and learn a lot about how they can improve on their artwork from the experience.

Grace Santamaria had the unique opportunity of showing some of her sketches to representatives from University of Michigan and Ferris State University as a sophomore. Portfolio showings are normally focused on seniors.

“The college representatives were very helpful by giving specific critiques, compliments, and advice for improvement on my portfolio,” said Santamaria.

The representative from U of M also recommended she take a summer BFA course in a few years after seeing a few of her sketches.

“It’s like taking the ACT for an artist,” said Vanlieu about the portfolio showings.

Vanlieu’s students will be attending a larger one on October 27th in Lansing, where there will be representatives from 60 schools from across the nation, reviewing students’ portfolios.