As students walk the halls on their way to their classes, theyre reminded that there are staff who are safe to tell. If they are experiencing abuse, harassment, mental health declines or other struggles, they can reach out to the teachers who have these teal ribbons displayed in their classrooms.
If you’re being harassed, look around for the Safe2Tell stickers
Grace Lovely, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

You were sitting in class, getting ready for the test that you were about to take. You felt something on your arm, but you brushed it off. It...

Its the last week of school, and Saul Quintero and Anderson Flores Aguilar are glad. Together, they study for their final exam in English so that they can finish it on time.
Foreign exchange students experience fewer school restrictions in the United States
Ashley Lopez, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

Imagine stepping into another country where the cultural tradition, education system and even daily life are different from what you were used...

From helpful to harmful: AI’s interference in the classroom
Alexander Velo and Finn Bankston June 8, 2024

Since the dawn of technology, the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has intrigued the technology and science community. It started with...

Alternative Learning Program Students Hold Poetry Slam

On March 1st the Kalamazoo Public School Alternative Learning Program (ALP) showed off their poetry skills at Literacy Night. The night revolved around the book “The Westing Game” by Ellen Raskin. The atmosphere was a night of mystery and poetry. Different locations in the book were the inspiration for different rooms in the school, and the ALP students’  original poetry was framed and displayed all around the school. The night ended with a poetry slam featuring the students themselves.

The poetry slam was the highlight of the night. The excitement of the students was everywhere. The slam began with the beautiful song “Lift Every Voice And Sing” often called the National Black Anthem sang by Kquashia Williams and Aviance Holmes. The students expressed their feelings in their poems, and what life is like for them.

The Alternative Learning Program was initially just a behavior based program, but according to principal Vincent Hodge it’s become much more.

“This is a program for kids who haven’t reached their full potential and we just pull it out of them,” said Dr. Hodge.

In the last few years the literacy tests of the students in ALP have risen drastically using the Read 180 program and the System 44 reading program. Superintendent Dr. Rice expressed his delight with the program

“ I think anytime you see young people reading its exciting, but particularly young people who have slipped behind, who have struggled, or who have faced challenges and who are beginning to rise from those challenges. I think it’s a beautiful thing to watch and become a part of,” said Dr. Rice.