KPS experiences suspicious WiFi outages the week of Oct 3

Selena+Montalvo%2C+Attendance+Interventionist%2C+works+on+attendance+during+the+internet+outage+and+explains+the+new+system+she+created+to+adapt.++Teachers+took+attendance+on+paper%2C+and+within+the+first+ten+minutes+of+class+had+a+student+run+it+to+the+office.++Later%2C+Montalvo+will+have+to+input+the+paper+copies+online.++

Credit: Chloe Rathbun

Selena Montalvo, Attendance Interventionist, works on attendance during the internet outage and explains the new system she created to adapt. Teachers took attendance on paper, and within the first ten minutes of class had a student run it to the office. Later, Montalvo will have to input the paper copies online.

Chloe Rathbun and Josephine Velo

On Wednesday, Oct. 5, Kalamazoo Central and Loy Norrix students opened their chromebooks to take the Horizon standardized testing. Most students, however, couldn’t even get through the login screen. 

Beginning on Wednesday, KPS experienced a series of WiFi outages intermittently throughout the end of last week: the issue was district-wide.  

Staff in the main office and guidance office were in a frenzy trying to access student files without a stable internet connection.

“It’s highly frustrating to all of us office staff who have to do things for different family members, it makes it that much harder,” said secretary Jennifer Dantes, “We can’t help like we’d like to.”

Not only did office staff find it difficult to help parents calling into the school, it was also the beginning of Count Week, a time when keeping track of attendance is essential. Count Week is a statewide event in which all public schools are required to tally the number of students that attend the school. 

“Every student in this building brings in just over $9,000 in revenue for the school district,” said Principal Christopher Aginuaga, “If we don’t get them counted in 10 days from Wednesday, we lose that funding.”

Currently, Loy Norrix is working with KPS Technology Services and the Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety to investigate the network problems.  

Aguinaga described the issue as “an outside internet entity…flooding our network with data.”

According to Aginauga, technology services are reviewing student search histories to check if someone within our district is responsible for the outages, but as of now nothing is definite, and the investigation is ongoing.