Cherished Spanish teacher leaves Norrix after 11 years of connecting with students

Ender Ross, Executive Web Editor

Spanish is one of the most important languages to learn in the whole of the United States – second only to English – but this year shall be the last for one of our most beloved Spanish teachers.

After 11 years spent at LN, Spanish teacher Christina Holmes is leaving for warmer pastures in Florida, in order to spend time with her family. In the sunshine state, Holmes is looking for a career in something new, a new chapter in the epic of Holmes. 

“I’m not sure if my style is aligned with their more conservative values. I want to end my teaching career on a high note,” said Holmes. “Here, I feel like I am with a family, warts and all, but I’ve never felt like I wasn’t supported by my students and colleagues.” 

Micheal Wright knows Holmes because he teaches government only a short jaunt down the hall from Holmes’ room in the A-Wing. Almost any student who is familiar with her would vouch that she is a truly kind person in a school somewhat bereft of compassion.

“She is very easy to talk to, and her room is very welcoming!” said junior Isabella Figueroa who was chosen by Holmes as the recipient of a People’s Choice Award. 

Left behind her is a successful legacy of teaching kids another language, which can be very frustrating. 

“The way we did things in the class was different from the other classes I had taken because we mostly learned by talking with one another in Spanish. She is a good teacher,” said junior Brandon Strom. 

Students agree that Holmes is an excellent educator. “She explains stuff very well. It’s very well structured,” said sophomore Elle Mazei.

I had her class once myself, and I have to say it was one of the best classes I have been able to attend during my time here at Norrix. I got the best grade in Spanish I have ever gotten, and all credit for that goes to Holmes. 

Holmes also runs the Latinx club, a place where Hispanic students can go to celebrate their heritage. With her departure, the future of the club is uncertain. 

¡Adiós señora Holmes, te extrañaremos!