As students walk the halls on their way to their classes, theyre reminded that there are staff who are safe to tell. If they are experiencing abuse, harassment, mental health declines or other struggles, they can reach out to the teachers who have these teal ribbons displayed in their classrooms.
If you’re being harassed, look around for the Safe2Tell stickers
Grace Lovely, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

You were sitting in class, getting ready for the test that you were about to take. You felt something on your arm, but you brushed it off. It...

Its the last week of school, and Saul Quintero and Anderson Flores Aguilar are glad. Together, they study for their final exam in English so that they can finish it on time.
Foreign exchange students experience fewer school restrictions in the United States
Ashley Lopez, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

Imagine stepping into another country where the cultural tradition, education system and even daily life are different from what you were used...

From helpful to harmful: AI’s interference in the classroom
Alexander Velo and Finn BankstonJune 8, 2024

Since the dawn of technology, the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has intrigued the technology and science community. It started with...

Social Justice Youth Awards highlight student activism in Kalamazoo

Credit: Christopher Aguinaga
Social Justice Youth Award winners pose with Principal Christopher Aguinaga. The awards ceremony took place at the City Commision meeting.

I believe we are moving in a direction that while including those voices, loses them to trends, so I would like to see more permanent impacts.”

— Annalise Ransom

The Social Justice Youth Awards are presented annually to students who demonstrate leadership and commitment to social justice in their communities. The awards ceremony takes place after Martin Luther King Jr. Day to celebrate the legacy he left behind. The awards are also presented to honor Dr. Lewis Walker, who committed much of his life to the continuous development of racial equity in Kalamazoo.

This year’s award winners from Loy Norrix were seniors Mayalena Alvarez, Annalise Ransom, Ohmaz Clark and Jordan Pritchett. The nominees from Norrix were chosen by Principal Christopher Aguinaga and were honored based on their contributions to their high school and the greater Kalamazoo community.  Then the nominees were sent to local businesses that determined who would be honored based on their community involvement and commitment to social justice advancements. 

“Our community is incredibly diverse,” Aguinaga said. “Students and staff have a common desire to lift everybody up.” 

Each year, Aguinaga looks forward to interviewing and selecting nominees.  

Alvarez was happy to be recognized for her efforts to support the Latino community.

Alvarez wants more focus on Latino needs and issues. To Alvarez, this would look like more programs for newcomers to aid their transition to KPS. 

Ransom was also recognized for her work in social justice for the community. 

Ransom wants to see more inclusion for underrepresented groups. “I believe we are moving in a direction that while including those voices, loses them to trends,” said Ransom, ”so I would like to see more permanent impacts.”