Former Immigrant, Oscar Garcia living his day to day life. Garcia first immigrated to America in 1986.
Immigrant families face hardships when relocating
Lizzy Garcia, Guest Writer • April 19, 2024

In life, a handful of people are faced with making the decision of moving. Whether it be moving for job or education opportunities, a move like...

Tower Talk: What classes are you looking forward to next year?
Finn Bankston, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Social Justice Youth Awards highlight student activism in Kalamazoo

Credit: Christopher Aguinaga
Social Justice Youth Award winners pose with Principal Christopher Aguinaga. The awards ceremony took place at the City Commision meeting.

I believe we are moving in a direction that while including those voices, loses them to trends, so I would like to see more permanent impacts.”

— Annalise Ransom

The Social Justice Youth Awards are presented annually to students who demonstrate leadership and commitment to social justice in their communities. The awards ceremony takes place after Martin Luther King Jr. Day to celebrate the legacy he left behind. The awards are also presented to honor Dr. Lewis Walker, who committed much of his life to the continuous development of racial equity in Kalamazoo.

This year’s award winners from Loy Norrix were seniors Mayalena Alvarez, Annalise Ransom, Ohmaz Clark and Jordan Pritchett. The nominees from Norrix were chosen by Principal Christopher Aguinaga and were honored based on their contributions to their high school and the greater Kalamazoo community.  Then the nominees were sent to local businesses that determined who would be honored based on their community involvement and commitment to social justice advancements. 

“Our community is incredibly diverse,” Aguinaga said. “Students and staff have a common desire to lift everybody up.” 

Each year, Aguinaga looks forward to interviewing and selecting nominees.  

Alvarez was happy to be recognized for her efforts to support the Latino community.

Alvarez wants more focus on Latino needs and issues. To Alvarez, this would look like more programs for newcomers to aid their transition to KPS. 

Ransom was also recognized for her work in social justice for the community. 

Ransom wants to see more inclusion for underrepresented groups. “I believe we are moving in a direction that while including those voices, loses them to trends,” said Ransom, ”so I would like to see more permanent impacts.”

View Comments (1)