Junior Kaitlyn Albertson learns how to write light cues for a song of her choice. Albertson chooses which lights she wants to turn on at what time.
The technical theater club is open to newcomers
Olivia Nitz, Staff Writer • April 29, 2024

When watching a production, we tend to focus on the actors onstage. We don't usually consider who is shining the spotlight on the main character...

Knights of the Round Table Podcast #3: Musician
Daniel Ewing, Carter Pickett, Alexander Velo, and Finn BankstonApril 26, 2024

Team manager Fletcher gives the signal to start the dives from the diving board and gives tips to the divers.  Sometimes he holds a bar for the swimmers to dive over.
High number of underclassmen show promise after a successful season for the men's swim and dive team
Flora Harper and Alexander VeloApril 25, 2024

The 2023-24 men's swim team is a great example of what teamwork and determination can create. Although more than half the team members were...

Teens use art to express their emotions and feelings

Sophomore+Z+Freed+conducts+blood+tests+in+science+class.++Freed+finds+that+doodling+on+herself+or+her+papers+for+schools+helps+her+to+stay+focused+and+understand+the+material+better.+
Credit: Josephine Velo
Sophomore Z Freed conducts blood tests in science class. Freed finds that doodling on herself or her papers for schools helps her to stay focused and understand the material better.

It was the middle a weekend afternoon and Torin Radley, a teenage artist, was excited about making a new “Dungeons and Dragons” character. Radley started to draw the characters to try and relieve their anticipation in making it. When they were done, Radley had made something they liked.

Many people use art to do various things. Some use it to express feelings and some just to create. These reasons vary from person to person along with the emotions behind the thing they end up making.

“It’s kind of always been a thing I wanted to do,” said sophomore Z Freed. “I would always see old stuff in the attic, things like my grandma’s old crochet. I’d go online since YouTube was starting to get big and see ‘Oh woah these are cool: these are crochet patterns. I wanna try doing that.'”

Another example of such expression is music. Music, like any type of art, can carry the creator’s emotions and share those feelings with others. In a way, listening to music can be considered listening to the expressions of the composer behind it. 

“Before, I thought art was something people would do because they were bored,” said freshman Dimitri Burks. “Now, I think it’s just something you can do to generally express how you feel, and you don’t even have to show it to anybody and you can keep it to yourself if you want to.”

According to Art and Emotion by the Internet Encyclopedia of philosophy, emotions are generally part of interacting with art, even ones with more negative connotations like anger and sadness.

Art, being something inexplicably tied with emotion, is something some people use to vent their bottled-up emotions. For Freed, the artistic outlet is music.

“The music I listen to really influences the music I try to make,’ said Freed. ‘I’m like, ‘okay, this was a big emotion,’ or ‘this was a cool thing that happened to either write a song about or crochet to.'”

Art is a universal language, as it allows us to express and connect with others. Students and anyone with any kind of background can interpret art for the possible story or emotions behind it.