The forensics team mascot Loy enjoys Marquette Park after a successful tournament.  This plushie joins the Forensics Team in all of their tournaments throughout the season and has become a valuable member of the team.
Go goose: Forensics Team takes flight to Mackinac Island’s tournament
Josephine Velo and Amelia Wood May 28, 2024

On Friday, May 17, the Forensics Team piled onto the Mackinac ferry and said goodbye to the mainland. The fancy Grand Hotel, fudge and a...

A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.
The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day
Rosie Hill and Alice Damashek May 28, 2024

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth...

Loy Norrix Athletic Director Andrew Laboe sends 10 Knights off to college at the annual signing day event.
Loy Norrix Athletics congratulates seniors playing sports in college
Ethan Williams and Max Berlin May 24, 2024

Teens use art to express their emotions and feelings

Sophomore+Z+Freed+conducts+blood+tests+in+science+class.++Freed+finds+that+doodling+on+herself+or+her+papers+for+schools+helps+her+to+stay+focused+and+understand+the+material+better.+
Credit: Josephine Velo
Sophomore Z Freed conducts blood tests in science class. Freed finds that doodling on herself or her papers for schools helps her to stay focused and understand the material better.

It was the middle a weekend afternoon and Torin Radley, a teenage artist, was excited about making a new “Dungeons and Dragons” character. Radley started to draw the characters to try and relieve their anticipation in making it. When they were done, Radley had made something they liked.

Many people use art to do various things. Some use it to express feelings and some just to create. These reasons vary from person to person along with the emotions behind the thing they end up making.

“It’s kind of always been a thing I wanted to do,” said sophomore Z Freed. “I would always see old stuff in the attic, things like my grandma’s old crochet. I’d go online since YouTube was starting to get big and see ‘Oh woah these are cool: these are crochet patterns. I wanna try doing that.'”

Another example of such expression is music. Music, like any type of art, can carry the creator’s emotions and share those feelings with others. In a way, listening to music can be considered listening to the expressions of the composer behind it. 

“Before, I thought art was something people would do because they were bored,” said freshman Dimitri Burks. “Now, I think it’s just something you can do to generally express how you feel, and you don’t even have to show it to anybody and you can keep it to yourself if you want to.”

According to Art and Emotion by the Internet Encyclopedia of philosophy, emotions are generally part of interacting with art, even ones with more negative connotations like anger and sadness.

Art, being something inexplicably tied with emotion, is something some people use to vent their bottled-up emotions. For Freed, the artistic outlet is music.

“The music I listen to really influences the music I try to make,’ said Freed. ‘I’m like, ‘okay, this was a big emotion,’ or ‘this was a cool thing that happened to either write a song about or crochet to.'”

Art is a universal language, as it allows us to express and connect with others. Students and anyone with any kind of background can interpret art for the possible story or emotions behind it.