The forensics team mascot Loy enjoys Marquette Park after a successful tournament.  This plushie joins the Forensics Team in all of their tournaments throughout the season and has become a valuable member of the team.
Go goose: Forensics Team takes flight to Mackinac Island’s tournament
Josephine Velo and Amelia Wood May 28, 2024

On Friday, May 17, the Forensics Team piled onto the Mackinac ferry and said goodbye to the mainland. The fancy Grand Hotel, fudge and a...

A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.
The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day
Rosie Hill and Alice Damashek May 28, 2024

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth...

Loy Norrix Athletic Director Andrew Laboe sends 10 Knights off to college at the annual signing day event.
Loy Norrix Athletics congratulates seniors playing sports in college
Ethan Williams and Max Berlin May 24, 2024

The technical theater club is open to newcomers

Credit: Olivia Nitz
Junior Kaitlyn Albertson learns how to write light cues for a song of her choice. Albertson chooses which lights she wants to turn on at what time.

When watching a production, we tend to focus on the actors onstage. We don’t usually consider who is shining the spotlight on the main character or who is moving the set pieces around when the lights grow dark. While technical and backstage theater is usually left forgotten, in the technical theater club, all forms of stagecraft are acknowledged. 

I feel like a lot of times, technical theater gets forgotten or underappreciated”

— Maegan Sargeant

“I feel like a lot of times, technical theater gets forgotten or underappreciated,” said auditorium manager/club leader Maegan Sargeant. “I wanted to give the students who are interested an outlet to learn more and know that they’re appreciated and have a place to belong.” 

Working behind the scenes in production can include sound, lights, set design and so much more. In tech club, students will learn everything from how to change spotlights to operating soundboards.  

“I joined the club because I had a really fun time doing theater my sophomore year,” said junior Kaitlyn Albertson. “I wanted to continue doing it my junior year and then keep going. I also heard that it’s a good career opportunity, so now I’m looking into lighting design as an actual career.” 

Club leader Maegan Sargeant teaches students about lighting design. She presents a slideshow explaining the plan for that day. (Credit: Olivia Nitz)

This club teaches students about technical theater and everything they need to know surrounding it. If a student is interested in pursuing theater production, the tech club can even help them find the highest-regarded theater schools, wherever they might want to go. Technical theater jobs salaries range from $40,000 to over $100,000, creating a great career opportunity for students interested.

“I try to at least touch every single aspect of theater, whether you’re interested in costume design, sound design, or lighting design. We try to do everything from introductory lessons to advanced lessons” said Sargeant. “The unique thing about this club is that it is more hands-on, so we do it in fun and innovative ways.”

Students in the tech club get to try everything at least once, with a new lesson each week involving a different form of technical theater. Everyone is welcome to their Thursday meetings in the auditorium, and joining the club doesn’t mean you have to stay committed to it for the rest of the year. 

“Even if you may not start wanting to be on crew, eventually you will grow a love and passion for it,” said Sargeant.