The forensics team mascot Loy enjoys Marquette Park after a successful tournament.  This plushie joins the Forensics Team in all of their tournaments throughout the season and has become a valuable member of the team.
Go goose: Forensics Team takes flight to Mackinac Island’s tournament
Josephine Velo and Amelia Wood May 28, 2024

On Friday, May 17, the Forensics Team piled onto the Mackinac ferry and said goodbye to the mainland. The fancy Grand Hotel, fudge and a...

A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.
The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day
Rosie Hill and Alice Damashek May 28, 2024

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth...

Loy Norrix Athletic Director Andrew Laboe sends 10 Knights off to college at the annual signing day event.
Loy Norrix Athletics congratulates seniors playing sports in college
Ethan Williams and Max Berlin May 24, 2024

GradPoint Helps Students Retrieve Credits

GradPoint is an online class to let students from freshman year to senior year retrieve credits that students from failed to get for required classes. This online class can only be taken if your counselor signs you up for it. GradPoint  has almost every course imaginable, ranging anywhere from freshman English to pre-calculus.
    There is no teacher guiding you through the course, it is a self taught class. Therefore, you can work as slow or as fast as you want to. For your final exam you must get an 80 percent or higher or else you will not be able to retrieve the credit you’ve been working on.
    You can take however many classes to get the amount of credits you need to stay on track to graduate. This class can be taken during any hour in Coach Mahar’s room or in room K15 after school. Loy Norrix is not the only school taking advantage of this program.
    Kalamazoo Central and Phoenix also have GradPoint available to their students
    “GradPoint is a great opportunity for students to retrieve a credit that they need to graduate. But, it does take a lot of self-discipline to stay focused on a course,” said Coach Mahar, instructor for GradPoint.
    Because you cannot walk the stage to graduate without finishing and passing all of your classes, seniors who might have been playing around too much in their GradPoint classes will start to fill in after school so they can finish on  time.
    “I’m grateful for GradPoint so that way I won’t be forced to become a super senior next year. I’m thankful for this opportunity so I can stay on track to graduate,” said senior Alayna Kopec.
    Despite the fact that it usually takes weeks to finish any course and the high pressure for seniors to finish their online courses so that way they can graduate, if you have self-discipline and the desire to to stay on track for graduation then you can successfully complete your GradPoint class in a timely fashion.