Seniors, any advice for your underclassmen?
Tenaja White, Staff Writer • February 27, 2024

Photo taken by Jonathan Moreau from Flickr
A Year in Review: NFL fans around Loy Norrix reflect on their favorite team’s season
Max Berlin, Assistant Sports Editor • February 26, 2024

For many Norrix students, National Football League (NFL) Sundays are one of the most anticipated days of the week. Not many feelings can compare...

Henry Wilson and Michael McDonald discuss in refs position.  The wrestlers often talk through the movements while practicing.
Wrestling provides strength and discipline but demands dedication and hard work
Alexander Velo, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Out of all the after school activities Loy Norrix students can participate in, wrestling is one of the most time-and energy-consuming. After...

Loy Norrix Students Participate in the NAACP Freedom Fund Banquet

By Jazmine Houston

Loy Norrix students Reana Smith, London Taylor, Raymond Ryan, Natillie Doram, Jazmine Houston, and Trenton Beamon attend the NAACP banquet on November 5th. All nominees received a plaque.

On Saturday November 5, 2011 the NAACP hosted their 31st annual freedom fund banquet. The banquet hall held over seven hundred people including students, parents, ministers, pastors, and teachers. The NAACP gave away many awards including the Dr. Charles Warfield Youth Community Service Award. This award was created to celebrate the success of youth who are involved in community service throughout Kalamazoo.

The nominees had to meet a number of requirements. They had to be an African American high school senior at a local high school, they must reside in the Kalamazoo/Portage area, and the nominees must also be actively engaged in community service efforts. Nominees also had to complete an application that asked questions about their service to the Kalamazoo community along with the students future goals and aspirations.

Dr. Charles Warfield is the current president of the local NAACP branch, he is also active in community-based organizations and activities.

Five high school students received honorable mentions, two of the five were Loy Norrix students, seniors Cambria Tucker and Ray’von Jones. Each student received a plague and a check of fifty dollars

“It was amazing, I felt overwhelmed. Being recognized by a board group of people brought such a great feeling. It is nice to know people acknowledge the good you do,” said Tucker.

Two students from Kalamazoo Central High School won the actual scholarship award, seniors Robert Duminie jr. and T’Ausia Bronson. They as well received a plague along with a check worth two hundred and fifty dollars.

Some Loy Norrix students also got to attend the banquet. Students who are part of the MAPS (Mentoring and Providing Scholarships) program had the opportunity to attend the event for free.