As students walk the halls on their way to their classes, theyre reminded that there are staff who are safe to tell. If they are experiencing abuse, harassment, mental health declines or other struggles, they can reach out to the teachers who have these teal ribbons displayed in their classrooms.
If you’re being harassed, look around for the Safe2Tell stickers
Grace Lovely, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

You were sitting in class, getting ready for the test that you were about to take. You felt something on your arm, but you brushed it off. It...

Its the last week of school, and Saul Quintero and Anderson Flores Aguilar are glad. Together, they study for their final exam in English so that they can finish it on time.
Foreign exchange students experience fewer school restrictions in the United States
Ashley Lopez, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

Imagine stepping into another country where the cultural tradition, education system and even daily life are different from what you were used...

From helpful to harmful: AI’s interference in the classroom
Alexander Velo and Finn Bankston June 8, 2024

Since the dawn of technology, the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has intrigued the technology and science community. It started with...

Running for Winter Court: Win or Lose

Udo Backes and Ava Gaines sat on the 2011 WinterFest court. Backes and Gaines were seniors at Loy Norrix last year.

As Winterfest quickly approaches, candidates for Winter Court prepare their campaign for the race.  If you are an underclassman (grades 9-11) you spread the word to all your friends that you’re running for Winterfest and tell them to nominate you. During lunch on January 31st, your friends go to the designated table and fill out a form with your name and whomever you may be running with. Then your grades are checked to see if you uphold a 2.0 GPA. Whoever has the most nominations is the representative for their class.

If you are a Senior running for Winterfest the process is slightly different.  You still run a campaign and your friends vote for you, but instead of the top person with the most votes being chosen, the top seven are chosen. After the top seven are chosen the whole school votes on the senior King and Queen.

Students use many different campaign tactics; some make posters, some make cup cakes, and some create Facebook pages. The problem for most students is that not enough people know that they’re running so they don’t get many nominations.  They don’t run a thorough campaign, so it turns into a popularity contest. Our Winterfest court should exemplify the best in our students. They should be smart, friendly, talented, and that’s why their peers like them.

“For me, I don’t care if I win or lose, I just want to have fun. I will hug whoever wins. If I do win, I will be happy. I want people to know that it’s not about being popular, but about friendships,” said Amyre Dennis, current sophomore candidate.