Daniel Ewing, Carter Pickett, Alexander Velo, and Finn BankstonApril 26, 2024

Valorian Cunningham Commits to Wayne State

Photo Credit: Gwen DeYoung
Valorian Cunningham officially committed to Wayne State last Wednesday on National Signing Day. Cunningham thanked all who have supported him, especially his family. He was surrounded by family, friends and administrators at a celebration for his signing last thursday.

The conference center was jammed packed with family, friends, coaches, administrators and fans yesterday when Senior Valorian Cunningham celebrated his official commitment to play football at Wayne State next year. While Cunningham has only been at Loy Norrix High School for a little over a year, it was clear yesterday that he has made a big impact on the school, both the staff and students.

“Having him here is great not just for athletics and academics but also for having another great person here,” said Athletic Director Andrew Laboe.

“He has been a blessing for the team on and off the field,” said head Varsity football coach Sean Burgan.

Cunningham officially signed his commitment letter on Wednesday, the official national signing day, to play strong safety for the Warriors next year. Cunningham has committed to play all four years at Wayne State and hopes to play in the National Football League in the future.

“I don’t want to just go to the NFL I want to be the best in the NFL and in college too,” said Cunningham.

The choice to go to Wayne State was easy for Cunningham.

“I just felt like it was a good school football wise and academics wise,” said Cunningham, “I felt like they were a family and really wanted me to go there.”

Along with playing strong safety and wide receiver for the Warriors Cunningham will also be studying business focusing on entrepreneurship.

Even though Cunningham will soon leave Norrix and will be continuing to advance his football career and academics, he will not forget his alma mater and appreciates his fellow Knights.

“I would like to give a shout out to Norrix to all my friends and everyone who supported me including the administrators,” said Cunningham, “Thank you all for your support.”

While Cunningham may someday be a super star in the NFL or in the business world, people at Loy Norrix will have the honor of saying that Valorian Cunningham was a Knight.

“Valorian is a great kid. Make sure you go and support him next year at Wayne State and always remember that Valorian is a Knight,” said defensive coach Rob Bradford.