Photo taken by Jonathan Moreau from Flickr
A Year in Review: NFL fans around Loy Norrix reflect on their favorite team’s season
Max Berlin, Assistant Sports Editor • February 26, 2024

For many Norrix students, National Football League (NFL) Sundays are one of the most anticipated days of the week. Not many feelings can compare...

Henry Wilson and Michael McDonald discuss in refs position.  The wrestlers often talk through the movements while practicing.
Wrestling provides strength and discipline but demands dedication and hard work
Alexander Velo, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Out of all the after school activities Loy Norrix students can participate in, wrestling is one of the most time-and energy-consuming. After...

Knights of the Round Table Podcast #2
Knights of the Round Table Podcast #2
Flora Harper, News & Opinion Editor • February 23, 2024

How To Win Winterfest

Selected Loy Norrix students compete to dunk a basketball. The students participated in the Annual Musical Chairs Basketball Shout Out as a part of Winter Fest 2012. Photo by Leah Rathbun.

Coming into high school, as a freshman, is a huge transition. You have survived the awkward adolescence of middle school, and left behind recess and nap time.  You’ve joined the ranks of the big kids and it’s kind of scary. You’re in a whole new school, and in Loy Norrix joining the mass of over 1,300 students. You’re just trying to fit in and find your place in the school. You don’t know much about the different things happening around here, and when it comes to things like Winterfest you’re clueless. So the chances of you winning are slim to none.  So here are the contests and how the points break down.

These are the traditional contests included in Winterfest-

• Spirit Days- Days throughout spirit week with a specific theme in which you participate in by dressing up.
  • Game Attendance- Showing up at the for Loy Norrix Basketball games. The class with the most people in attendance wins the points for that night.
  • Pep Rally Contests- During the pep rally there are a series of contests that students compete in for points for their class. Your class executive board chooses people in advance to represent you.
  • Sign Painting- Throughout the week after school there are opportunities to paint supportive posters for the basketball team. The class with the most students in attendance wins the points.
  • The Penny War- During spirit week in the athletic office there are four jugs students are supposed to put pennies in. Other classes can sabotage others by putting in silver coins, which effects them negatively.
  • Poster Contest- On game day all the posters made by the classes are hung on the gym walls. The class with the most posters win. Quantity over quality.

Which ever place you come 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th determines how many points you get.

First Place- 10 Points

Second Place- 5 Points

Third Place- 3 Points

Fourth Place- 1 Point

The class with the most points at the end of the week wins, and gets the fabulous Spirit Jug! A lovely water jug painted blue with LNHS in a metallic silver glitter glue. Though this extravagant prize provides anyone with the drive to win, spirit week is really about showing support for your school and pride for your school.