Loy Norrix cross country closes the season on a positive note

Credit: Colin Carnell

From left to right, junior Keegan Hughes, seniors Ella Schnell and Jozef Meyers, sophomores Lillian Daniels and Gavin Rozanc, and junior Kinsey Skjold pose for a photo after receiving their awards at the cross country awards ceremony. Hughes and Skjold received the sportsmanship award, Meyers and Schnell won the MVP award, and Daniels and Rozanc won the most improved award. Photo Credit / Colin Carnell

Colin Carnell, Copy Editor

Since summer practices started on June 17, the cross country season drew to a close on November 2 for Loy Norrix High School (LNHS). Thursday, November 7, the team had an end of season banquet and award ceremony in the LNHS cafeteria.

“I would like to be better than this season, I want to keep improving, I want to be conference champions,” said coach Greg Savicke.

The 2019 season made history as LNHS’s cross country team sent both a female and male to the state finals for the first time in a decade.

Thinking on her next season, sophomore Haniya Frayer said, “I wanna get [a time] under 20 minutes. I also want my whole team to be able to run together.”

At the state finals, senior Jozef Meyers placed 21st with a time of 15 minutes and just under 59 seconds, while senior Ella Schnell placed 50th with a time of 19 minutes and just under 18 seconds.

Senior and men’s captain Myles Baker has factored cross country into his choice of university. “Yeah, I plan to run in college. I’m looking at Western [Western Michigan University] or Michigan Tech [Michigan Technological University]. Western doesn’t have a cross country team, but it has a club,” said Baker. 

Loy Norrix High School indoor track starts after Thanksgiving break, meeting every day Monday through Friday after school.