The Loy Norrix chapter of NEHS is open for applications this fall

Loy+Norrix+junior+Emerson+Wesslehoff+attends+a+volunteer+opportunity+at+Read+and+Write+Kalamazoo.+Here+Wesselhoff+works+to+create+a+book+using+old+magazines.+

Photo by Lily Stickley

Loy Norrix junior Emerson Wesslehoff attends a volunteer opportunity at Read and Write Kalamazoo. Here Wesselhoff works to create a book using old magazines.

Lily Stickley, Feature Editor

The Loy Norrix chapter of the National English Honor Society, also called the Loy Norrix Literary Luminaries, is opening applications this fall, with English teacher Jeffery Pickell as the faculty adviser. 

“[NEHS] is the only international organization exclusively for high school students and faculty who, in the field of English, merit special note for past and current accomplishments,” as stated on the National English Honor Society for Secondary Schools website.

NEHS is not just about English, it also helps students with other valuable skills. 

Adviser Pickell said, “Those skills you need to develop or to accomplish or create something real — whether it be a poetry slam, a lit mag, a tutoring program, or a fundraising dinner — are among the most valuable any person could learn at any point in their life” Students who have an interest in reading, writing, and literature should consider joining.

“People who want to join should definitely join because through NEHS we’ve been developing some really great opportunities in the community and most often with Read and Write Kalamazoo to work with kids on different ways of expression and forming their ideas in fun ways,” said Loy Norrix senior and NEHS president Carly Loken. 

Students that have a GPA of 3.0, have completed two trimesters of English at Loy Norrix, and are interested in joining can pick up an application this fall to participate in NEHS for the 2020-2021 school year.