Students discuss their experiences making music

Sophomore%2C+Wolfgang+Madonia+practices+chords+on+the+guitar.+

Credit: Wolfgang Madonia

Sophomore, Wolfgang Madonia practices chords on the guitar.

Milo Turner, Social Media Team

During the 2020-2021 school year, KPS students have had a great deal of time on their hands without the added stress of transporting to and from campus. 

For students who play instruments or make music, this means more time to refine their craft. 

Music can be important to teenagers, not just as a hobby, but something more definitive of their personal identities. According to a study from the National Association of Music Merchants, “Teens believe that music is an integral part of American life, and that music reflects American culture and society.”

Sophomore Wolfgang Madonia has been involved in music consistently from a young age. 

“I’ve played guitar, drums, bass, and keyboards for a long, long time,” Madonia said, “as long as I can remember.”

It wasn’t until 2017 that she began to release finished songs and covers on the music sharing platform, SoundCloud, under Wolfgang Madonia

Madonia added, “My favorite song or project I’ve worked on is probably between my upcoming EP and my cover I’m about to put out.”

As someone who’s been working on music regularly, Madonia had a great deal of advice for aspiring musicians or students who simply want to start creating on their own but don’t know where to begin. 

“When you’re writing a song, even if you hate how it sounds, keep writing it,” Madonia said, “No one is gonna sound good on their first go.”

In terms of applications young musicians should look into, Madonia explained, “Invest in a nice computer, a DAW [Digital Audio Workstation] and an audio interface as soon as possible. It will boost your confidence in your music so much.”

Madonia’s personal DAW recommendations include Logic Pro, FL Studio, and BandLab. 

In the past, Madonia has collaborated with junior Noah Doerschler, and freshman Gordon Jennings, who both make music in their free time as well. 

Doerschler has been making music casually since age 13 and now uploads completed works on SoundCloud under the pseudonym Bowsa

“I have met a lot of people and friends through music.” Doerschler continued, “My favorite song I’ve created is ‘Let’s Go Fishing,’” a collaboration featuring Doerschler and a few of his peers. 

Jennings is a member and co-founder of the band Via Ferrata that started roughly a year and half ago. 

Jennings explained, “I play keyboards and stuff like that and Jimbo [the second member and co-founder] plays guitar and drums and anything else we might need. It’s only me and Jimbo for good, but we have a lot of people from the community on to record every once in a while.

According to Jennings, the time freed up by mandated online learning has assisted the progression of the band. 

“We get together once or twice a week, and COVID really just made the whole thing work,” Jennings said. “I’m not sure it would go the same way if we had other things to do besides it, so it wasn’t that big of a deal.”

As a message to other students who find themselves being interested in starting a band or practicing and collaborating with others, Jennings advised, “If you’re wanting to start a band, just go for it and let it happen how it happens. Make sure whatever you’re doing is fun to you.”