Athletes explain what it means to play multiple sports

Macy Daniels, Guest Writer

For most high school students, a long school day with a game or practice on top of it is enough to tire them out, but not for these 2 students. Sophomore Cameron Miller and freshman Anna Miedema explain what it is like to be a multi-sport athlete. 

“I decided to become a multi-sport athlete in middle school,” cross country and soccer player Cameron Miller said. “I wanted to try cross country and it just stuck through all the way to high school.”

The NCAA says that about 8 million high school students around America play high school sports.

Becoming a multi-sport athlete can take a lot of your free time away. Miller and Miedema both agreed that it can shorten time with family and friends when their sports are in season. 

“I get home from cross country at 5:30 and home from soccer at 8:30,” Miedema said. “Time with friends or family is not available at some points in my life.”

Despite a lack of time, participating in sports can boost a students’ GPA.  “The Benefits of High School and Youth Sports” from At Your Own Risk says that it is proven that high school students that play sports have higher grades and are more likely to get into college by 15%. 

It can help keep you motivated with keeping up your grades so you keep participating in your sports,” said Miller. 

“I would recommend becoming a multi-sport athlete only to some,” Miller said. “This is because, like I said before, it is very time-consuming and can sometimes be a lot on your body. If someone is confident that they can do it, I would recommend it.”