Catch the Club: The Young Democrats club is working to create the next generation of American leaders

Credit: Ender Ross

Young Democrats run a voter registration drive in order to encourage more students to participate in the democratic process. Candy was offered in exchange for registering or pledging to register to vote.

Ender Ross, Executive Web Editor

In the United States, the right to vote and be active politically is one of the greatest things our constitution guarantees us. Join up with the Young Democrats, helping to create the next generation of American voters or even leaders! Everybody is encouraged to attend, regardless of their political stance. 

The club is run by seniors Guthrie Harris and Clara Moss, who do most of the organization, alongside the club advisor and Loy Norrix history teacher Kyle Shack. 

The Young Democrats ran a voter registration drive during the week of the 10th of October in order to encourage more Loy Norrix students to vote. 

“There has been a feeling like your vote doesn’t matter, it’s ineffective, and that could not be further from the truth,” said Harris, who was running the drive.

The 2022 Midterm is going to be a very important election, as there is no shortage of issues on the ballot.

“This election just some of the issues on the docket are abortion, financial transparency for politicians and other important initiatives,” said Harris. 

Despite the name of the club, it’s not just a hangout spot for Democrats. 

“It’s really fun, not an established Democratic party thing. One hundred percent of views are welcome, within reason,” said Harris, “This means that Republicans, Libertarians, Social Democrats, Socialists, and everything in between are allowed to enter and share in the fun that is a Young Democrats meeting. It strives to be a forum for those who want to be politically active, or those who already are.”

“It’s really fun, not an established Democratic party thing. One hundred percent of views are welcome”

— Harris

With such a brilliant forum for speaking about political issues, it’s easy to decide whether or not to go. These conversations are important to have so that you can stay up-to-date on all the latest issues, some of which will have a profound impact on your life and the lives of those around you. 

If you’re interested in Young Democrats, they meet every Tuesday in Shack’s room, C17. They are excited to have new members.