The evolution of prom: from high society balls to becoming a staple in teen culture

Loy Norrix teacher Samantha Simpson and a group of her friends in 2009. They are taking a group photo before leaving for prom.

Kierra Walker, Tower Talk Team

I liked prom because it was one last formal get-together with all of your classmates before you part ways upon graduating.

— Noah Macomber

Dancing, dresses, and dates: three things that make up the iconic high school event known as prom.
From debutante balls to modern-day promposals, the history of prom is a fascinating journey through time. As one of the most highly anticipated events of high school, prom has evolved throughout the years in both tradition and fashion.
Today, teens arrive in limos, wear dresses entirely too extravagant for everyday wear and dance to music provided by a DJ while casually chatting with their friends. Contrary to the formal atmosphere that was initially present at prom, the overall vibe is pretty laid-back nowadays.
Originating in the late 1800s, prom, previously referred to as “promenade,” started out as college-held balls meant to introduce graduating seniors to the social elite. It marked the beginning of your future as an adult.
More specifically, it was an opportunity for men to showcase their manners and begin their passage into society. Women were in attendance, but mainly for the purpose of finding a husband.
The shift across decades has naturally brought about changes in music and dance moves, but the fundamental transformation of prom’s purpose has altered the party aspect significantly.

Prom was a civilized tea party, with sophisticated music and behavior, so you wouldn’t hear exhilarating music or see attendees acting rowdy.
Men and women were expected to wear their Sunday best attire. Women wore simple, modest dresses that covered their arms, chest, and legs. Men wore plain, buttoned suits.

1920s

By the early 1920s, the culture surrounding prom had already undergone a drastic change. This period most similarly reflects the prom we know today, as high schools began hosting proms for their senior class.
Students arrived in their best clothes and danced to live bands. The most popular genres were dance band, jazz, and blues.
Fashion was definitely more outgoing and eye-catching. Girls wore Gatsby gowns and flapper dresses embellished with fringe and beads.
Men’s suits have remained relatively the same throughout the decades, but the material used in the 1920s what makes the suits of this time period unique. Wool, corduroy and flannel suits were in fashion among men.

1950s

The 1950s saw the first big wave of change in prom culture, with prom kings and queens being introduced. Schools began to elect a “prom court” which featured students who were popular or talented in some way. This tradition created a sense of competition among students, with many aspiring to be elected to the court.
Proms were often held in high school gymnasiums, but banquet halls were becoming increasingly more popular.
Punch or soft drinks, such as Coca-Cola, were served. For snacks, finger foods like miniature sandwiches and cheese with crackers were common options.
Rock and roll music was played as it was emerging as a dominant genre of music. Songs like “Blue Suede Shoes” by Elvis Presley and “Rock Around the Clock” by Bill Haley & His Comets were upbeat and perfect for dancing at the prom. Slow jams were also a popular choice.
Girls in the 1950s wore calf-length dresses that were both fashionable as well as modest. Dresses had full skirts that puffed out, often with the help of a petticoat, giving the illusion of a small waist and an hourglass silhouette. Pastel colors like pink, blue and yellow were popular at this time although some wore bolder, more dramatic colors.
Chiffon, silk and tulle were common fabrics for gowns. Girls could also choose to add lace details or sequins to add some sparkle to their dresses.

1960s-70s

Boys wore black or dark-colored suits and tuxedos. Ties were a solid color that typically coordinated with the suit. Boys often accessorized their prom attire with a cummerbund, pocket square or boutonniere.
The 1960s and 70s were a time of social upheaval and cultural revolution, and prom was not immune to the changes that were sweeping the country.
The emergence of countercultural movements such as the hippie and women’s liberation movements led to a more relaxed and egalitarian prom culture. Students began to experiment with fashion, music and dance styles, with some opting for unconventional outfits or skipping their prom altogether.
1970s prom fashion was heavily influenced by disco culture, which emphasized bright colors, bold patterns and sequins. Boys wore colorful tuxedos with ruffled shirts. Girls wore long dresses with flowy skirts, often with things like halter tops, floral prints and even bell-bottomed pantsuits.

In the ’80s it was big fun, big dress and big hair.

— Tisha Pankop

The 1980s brought with it a new wave of extravagance and opulence, with students donning elaborate gowns, suits, and tuxedos, traveling in limousines and hiring professional photographers to memorialize the experience.
Schools began to host elaborate theme-based proms, with some featuring celebrity guests and expensive giveaways.

1980s

Prom in the 1980s was heavily influenced by the pop culture and fashion trends of that era. The fashion at prom in the 1980s was characterized by bold colors, big hair, and eccentric styles. Boys continued the trend of pastel-colored tuxedos with ruffled shirts, while girls wore dresses with puffy sleeves, tulle skirts and glittery accessories like hair bows and high heels.
Pop music was very popular during the 1980s, and prom attendees danced to hits by artists like Madonna, Bon Jovi and Michael Jackson.
Dances like the moonwalk and the cabbage patch were popular at proms, as well as group-choreographed routines to hit songs.

1990s

By the 90s, a shift in societal norms allowed for greater acceptance of individual expression for individuals in many regards. Women could wear what they wanted, LGBTQ+ relationships were more commonly embraced and people started to actively celebrate various cultures.
Boys were most likely to wear black or navy tuxedos to prom. They’d pair them with bow ties, vests and dress shoes, sticking to the classic look. However, some guys chose to mix things up with more colorful and relaxed outfits. They also wore velvet jackets, suits in pastel colors and printed shirts to stand out from the crowd. Others who preferred a grunge aesthetic went for leather jackets, blazers, band tees and Converse sneakers.
Girls attending prom often chose dresses that were characterized by bold colors and intricate designs. Bright neons, metallic colors and fabrics that shimmered, such as silk or satin, were popular choices. The strapless silhouette was trendy, as well as halter-neck styles, with thick straps that tied at the back. Deep V-necklines, slinky slip dresses and lace fabrics were also in fashion. Shoes were typically high-heeled pumps or strappy sandals, and makeup tended to be natural with the exception of bold, dark lipstick.
The 21st Century has seen the rise of “promposals,” where students use creative and often extravagant methods to ask their desired date to prom. Social media has also played a significant role in prom culture, with students sharing their outfit choices, prom photos, and experiences online.

2000s

In the early 2000s, girls wore long formal dresses while boys wore tuxedos, as usual.
As the decade progressed, the trend shifted to shorter dresses and more casual attire, including dresses with spaghetti straps and lower-cut backs.
Hip-hop and pop remained the go-to genres for prom playlists with artists such as Usher, Beyonce and Outkast commonly being played.

2010s

From the 2010s and on, prom has remained relatively the same with the only key differences being the artists played and slight hairstyle changes.

In the past couple of years, prom dresses have become slightly more dramatic with some resembling a quinceañera dress. Menswear has begun to include floral designs and reflective highlights.

Prom has undergone a tremendous transformation since its inception as a simple end-of-the-year dance party. Today, it is a significant cultural phenomenon that is adored by students and has become an industry in itself.
However, despite all the changes, prom continues to be an essential rite of passage for high school students, signifying the end of one chapter and the beginning of the next.