Daniel Ewing, Carter Pickett, Alexander Velo, and Finn BankstonApril 26, 2024

Short-lived OG season leaves Fortnite fans wanting more

A+victory+royale+is+won+by+being+the+last+player+alive+out+of+100+players+in+a+game.+A+regular+game+of+Fortnite+lasts+around+20+minutes.++
A victory royale is won by being the last player alive out of 100 players in a game. A regular game of Fortnite lasts around 20 minutes.

Over 44 million players joined Fortnite on Nov. 4th to relive the OG season that many long term players haven’t experienced since Season One in 2017. The OG season brought back old landmarks, weapons, accessories and memories. To win the game and get the victory royale, you have to be the last one standing out of 100 players.
Students at Loy Norrix are a part of the millions of players that participated in this nostalgic time.
“I was excited but more sad that they were gonna take it away again,” said sophomore Felix Wendt.
Since the return caused such an uproar, the official Fortnite Twitter account confirmed that the OG season will return sometime during 2024 after “far exceeding” their expectations.

On Dec. 2 of 2023, the official Fortnite Twitter account stated that they plan on bringing the OG season back sometime in 2024, making fans excited to experience the nostalgia once again.

Frequent Fortnite players thought that taking away the OG season would make them not want to play the game, as they felt like it would waste all the money they’ve spent on V-Bucks. V-Bucks are the money in Fortnite you use to buy skins, dances and accessories.
“I might try to play some cause I spent way too much money for this,” said Wendt.
Along with the OG season comes OG weapons and landmarks. This means fan favorites, like the pump shotgun and the landing at Tilted Towers, won’t be options anymore.
“Pump shotgun: you know can’t beat that,” said senior Valentin Hernandez.
A month passed and the new season came out, leaving the OG season behind. There have been brand new additions to the game, like secret underground bases, a moving train, and weapons. The same students shared their thoughts on the new season. The weapons don’t seem to be as favored as the old ones.
“I don’t even know the names of the guns — I just grab whatever looks cool,” said Wendt.
This season still gives some flashbacks of earlier chapters, but it does not have as big of an impact on the players as the OG season.
“It’s kinda cool ’cause it’s nostalgic for the start of Chapter Two, but it just doesn’t compare,” said Wendt.