The forensics team mascot Loy enjoys Marquette Park after a successful tournament.  This plushie joins the Forensics Team in all of their tournaments throughout the season and has become a valuable member of the team.
Go goose: Forensics Team takes flight to Mackinac Island’s tournament
Josephine Velo and Amelia Wood May 28, 2024

On Friday, May 17, the Forensics Team piled onto the Mackinac ferry and said goodbye to the mainland. The fancy Grand Hotel, fudge and a...

A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.
The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day
Rosie Hill and Alice Damashek May 28, 2024

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth...

Loy Norrix Athletic Director Andrew Laboe sends 10 Knights off to college at the annual signing day event.
Loy Norrix Athletics congratulates seniors playing sports in college
Ethan Williams and Max Berlin May 24, 2024

Travel sports are better than school sports

Credit: Ethan Williams
Women’s JV basketball player, Jaela Moncrief shoots a free throw at a game late in the season. Moncrief often balances school basketball with travel basketball.

Playing sports is fun, especially when you are playing at the level of competition you want. While people enjoy playing both travel and school sports, there are preferences as to which should be played.

Although travel sports usually don’t take up school time and can be more competitive, they also require additional travel and can be expensive. With school sports, although the games are regular and easy to get to, they’re typically less competitive.

Freshman Jordyn Ivy, a basketball player, prefers travel sports.

“I really enjoy travel sports more because it’s more fun and there are more things to experience,” said Ivy.

Travel sports are leagues that usually play during the summer. They can be played all year round, but they are mostly in the summer because school sports are usually going on during all other seasons. Being on a travel team means paying fees as well as paying for additional expenses that come with traveling, such as transportation, hotels, and food, according to Mike Kennan’s Costs to Play Trends

Another difference between the sports is the amount of time players spend on their sport. There is often less time to practice on travel teams because the coaches usually work regular jobs outside of coaching the travel team.

Despite its drawbacks, travel sports are still preferred by most Loy Norrix students, although they still enjoy school sports.

“Playing travel sports is better, but school sports are fun because you can play against your friends at your rival school,” said freshman basketball player Jaela Moncrief. 

If students are unable to play with a travel team, Ivy believes that school sports are a great alternative.

“I recommend starting with school sports and then moving on to travel sports because the competition is way harder,” Ivy said.

Freshman multi-sport athlete Lea Harrison gives similar advice.

“I like travel sports better, but I recommend playing both because you can get different experiences from both,” said Harrison. 

School sports and travel sports are different in many ways, with many reasons to prefer one over the other. Still, student athletes agree that both are beneficial to students.