The forensics team mascot Loy enjoys Marquette Park after a successful tournament.  This plushie joins the Forensics Team in all of their tournaments throughout the season and has become a valuable member of the team.
Go goose: Forensics Team takes flight to Mackinac Island’s tournament
Josephine Velo and Amelia Wood May 28, 2024

On Friday, May 17, the Forensics Team piled onto the Mackinac ferry and said goodbye to the mainland. The fancy Grand Hotel, fudge and a...

A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.
The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day
Rosie Hill and Alice Damashek May 28, 2024

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth...

Loy Norrix Athletic Director Andrew Laboe sends 10 Knights off to college at the annual signing day event.
Loy Norrix Athletics congratulates seniors playing sports in college
Ethan Williams and Max Berlin May 24, 2024

High number of underclassmen show promise after a successful season for the men’s swim and dive team

The 2023-24 men’s swim team is a great example of what teamwork and determination can create. Although more than half the team members were underclassmen, they worked hard from November to January to secure a 6-3 conference record and a 7-3 overall score in the 2023-24 swim season.  

Head Coach Morgan Kenbeek was impressed with the motivation of the athletes throughout the season. 

“They want to win – they want to be one of the best teams in Loy Norrix. The only thing I remind them is how great they can be and everything they can accomplish, and it puts them right where they need to be,” Kenbeek continued. “With seven Loy Norrix swimmers scoring in the all-conference teams, including three freshmen, it really shows what the work can do, and with all the new swimmers, the team has a chance of being on top the next couple of years.”

The team has built close bonds that hold them together, with many traditions and memories that they have continued over the years. 

Sophomore Jaxon Grubaugh enjoyed the tradition of bleaching and shaving hair as a team at the end of their season.

“The purpose of shaving our heads is to go through the water faster, but all in all, it’s just a swim tradition,” Grubaugh said.

Senior Zander Ligman enjoyed his last season swimming for LN. 

“My favorite memory from this season was the post-meet locker room parties. We sing ‘Party in the USA’ together,” Ligman said. 

Although seniors like Ligman will be leaving, the team has a huge advantage for the next few years because of the grade diversity. The team is 60% underclassmen, which means  the next few seasons will be full of growth because the same athletes will continue to be a part of the team each year. 

Sophomore Issac Patrick, who will be returning next year, is excited to continue improving during the next two years.

“We got a lot of new freshmen, which is good, and I think we can win the conference sometime in the next three years, which would be really big for the program,” Patrick said.

Overall, the season went very well for the team. The team is excited to dive into the upcoming season.