As students walk the halls on their way to their classes, theyre reminded that there are staff who are safe to tell. If they are experiencing abuse, harassment, mental health declines or other struggles, they can reach out to the teachers who have these teal ribbons displayed in their classrooms.
If you’re being harassed, look around for the Safe2Tell stickers
Grace Lovely, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

You were sitting in class, getting ready for the test that you were about to take. You felt something on your arm, but you brushed it off. It...

Its the last week of school, and Saul Quintero and Anderson Flores Aguilar are glad. Together, they study for their final exam in English so that they can finish it on time.
Foreign exchange students experience fewer school restrictions in the United States
Ashley Lopez, Guest Writer • June 8, 2024

Imagine stepping into another country where the cultural tradition, education system and even daily life are different from what you were used...

From helpful to harmful: AI’s interference in the classroom
Alexander Velo and Finn BankstonJune 8, 2024

Since the dawn of technology, the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has intrigued the technology and science community. It started with...

Golf is overlooked but the men’s team still knows how to have fun

Members+of+the+golf+team%2C+%28from+left+to+right%29+Samuel+Gagie%2C+Xander+Gorham%2C+Isaac+Scarvarda%2C+Griffin+Moore+and+Aaron+Teal%2C+stand+arm+in+arm+after+a+tough+victory+in+one+of+their+tournaments.+They+all+played+their+hardest+and+are+happy+to+earn+this+win.+
Credit: Mark Kahler
Members of the golf team, (from left to right) Samuel Gagie, Xander Gorham, Isaac Scarvarda, Griffin Moore and Aaron Teal, stand arm in arm after a tough victory in one of their tournaments. They all played their hardest and are happy to earn this win.

High school athletics are dominated by basketball, football and soccer. Golf is one of the sports our school offers, but it hasn’t received the same attention that many other sports enjoy. 

Many people at Norrix don’t even know there is a golf team, but this doesn’t hold the team back from doing well and having fun.

Grayden Kearns is one of the freshmen on the golf team. He is an exceptional athlete who came in first place in one of his matches.

“It was a really awesome experience,” said Kearns.

The men’s golf team has about 20 students, from first-years to graduating seniors. They play at courses from Battle Creek to White Pigeon and have 20 games in the spring season.  

“The hardest part of playing for the golf team is leaving school early,” said Kearns, “because I have to do my work at home.”

Golf is one of the most demanding sports. From injuries, to bad weather, to an excellent opposing team, players must overcome challenges to grow as players and people with varied strengths. 

“Last year, I had my best round of the year and then the next round was my worst round of the year, which was super-upsetting,” sophomore Samuel Gagie said. 

Despite all the struggles, winning makes it worthwhile. Whether it’s getting a new personal best or coming in first place, the wins balance out the losses for players who are motivated.  

“My dad motivates me to play golf because he is a crazy-good golfer, and I’ve been practicing to make him proud,” said Kearns. 

Despite its lack of popularity, students find playing on the golf team rewarding for many reasons, whether that be to excel at a new sport or meet friends.   

Gagie said, “I’ve made lots of friends from my team and other teams.”