Seniors, any advice for your underclassmen?
Tenaja White, Staff Writer • February 27, 2024

Photo taken by Jonathan Moreau from Flickr
A Year in Review: NFL fans around Loy Norrix reflect on their favorite team’s season
Max Berlin, Assistant Sports Editor • February 26, 2024

For many Norrix students, National Football League (NFL) Sundays are one of the most anticipated days of the week. Not many feelings can compare...

Henry Wilson and Michael McDonald discuss in refs position.  The wrestlers often talk through the movements while practicing.
Wrestling provides strength and discipline but demands dedication and hard work
Alexander Velo, Staff Writer • February 23, 2024

Out of all the after school activities Loy Norrix students can participate in, wrestling is one of the most time-and energy-consuming. After...

Coins for Cancer Brings Loy Norrix Together One Donation at a Time

Science teacher Chris Komar's winning group of students.  Over the past 7 years, Komar's classes have donated over $4,500  to the LiveStrong foundation through the Loy Norrix Coins for Cancer drive, initiated by the Peace Jam club.
    Science teacher Chris Komar’s winning group of students. Over the past 7 years, Komar’s classes have donated over $4,500 to the LiveStrong foundation through the Loy Norrix Coins for Cancer drive, initiated by the Peace Jam club.

LiveStrong is a foundation that helps raise money to help people with insurance challenges, treatment concerns, emotional support, fertility preservation, and clinical trails. There are many different things people can do to help the LiveStrong foundation. People can join the team which involves walking, running, riding, or swimming to help fight cancer with the team. Also people can donate money which helps provide free services and support to cancers survivors to help improve the lives of people affected by cancer.

The Live Strong organization focuses on the lives of the cancer community. LiveStrong finds problems and helps develop solutions to aid cancer patients in overcoming obstacles. The organization helps anyone affected by cancer. Cancer patients, caregivers, family members and friends of someone with cancer all can get help and support from LiveStrong. They help cancer patients and others involved with the struggle understand the options they have, what to expect and what they should question. LiveStrong has raised about 80 million dollars the help those affected by cancer.

Loy Norrix takes great pride in helping those fighting cancer by raising money through the Coins for Cancer fund drive. Loy Norrix teacher, Sveri May has been in charge of the Coins for Cancer donations for about 6 years. She has been helping the foundation with the aid of Loy Norrix students for about 4 years. Since 2007 Coins for Cancer has raised over $2,000. Since 2003, Peacejam students have been helping May organize everything, but all of Loy Norrix students are involved.

”What caring students we have at Loy Norrix,” said May.

May was inspired because she believes people with cancer need and deserves worldwide support and care. May also lost a very close friend back in 1995 that passed away from cancer which is another reason for her participation with Coins for Cancer.

“We at Loy Norrix can make a difference and we do,” said May.
    Christine Komar, Loy Norrix biology teacher has been a supporter of Coins for Cancer with May since 2007. Komar was inspired by many friends and family members who have survived cancer or whom have passed away from fighting cancer.

“Watching family and friends battle the disease has been a life changing experience,” said Komar.

In the past Coins for Cancer has raised thousands of dollar with the help of Loy Norrix staff and students. During Komar’s 1st year back in 2007, her class raised $247.33. Since 2007, Komar has raised over $4,500 all together with the help of her students.