Illustration
Political apathy plagues Loy Norrix students and young American voters at large
Josephine Velo and Eleanor CookMay 23, 2024

"A lot more people are just like, 'both sides suck. Nobody represents me,'" said history teacher James Johnson, describing the current political...

Knight Speak: 2024 Election
Knight Speak: 2024 Election
Nia Moncrief, Multimedia Editor • May 23, 2024

“The Fall Guy” is a funny, action-packed tribute to stunt workers
Lexi Tuley, Graphics Editor • May 23, 2024

Watching Bruce Willis fall down the side of a building in “Die Hard” or seeing Harrison Ford outrun yet another deadly trap in “Raiders...

Graduation Celebrations and How They Have Changed Overtime

Photo by Mia Leibold  Senior Erin Romph and Josh Johnson exchange graduation invitations in class. They are both having celebrations at their homes in June.
Photo by Mia Leibold
Senior Erin Romph and Josh Johnson exchange graduation invitations in class. They are both having celebrations at their homes in June.

As the class of 2013 is soon to graduate, there are many things that go along with this major transition. This time of year also marks the crazy time which some call “graduation madness”.

June 8th, 15th and 22nd are three Saturdays next month packed full of graduation parties and free food. Graduation celebrations have become elaborate and intense over the years. However, they have not always been this way.

Tenth and Twelfth grade English teacher Anne Bowser is a Loy Norrix High School alum. Today’s seniors celebrate their graduation in many ways. For Bowser, major open houses were not one thing that graduates participated in. Bowser celebrated her graduation by going out to dinner with her family.

Although Bowser occasionally attends her student’s open houses when she can, she believes that the focus of these celebrations should be less on the students themselves, and instead celebrate those who helped get the students to where they are.

“It’s great to celebrate these events in our lives with the people we love” she said, “It’s the intangibles, and yet we want so many tangibles.”

Many students host large grad parties or open houses because they expect loved ones and family friends to bring them gifts and shower them with cash.

Bowser would like to see the senior class celebrate their graduation doing something positive together. She mentioned a BBQ where all the staff is invited or even a community service event where we all support each other in doing something to benefit the environment of Loy Norrix; a place where the seniors have grown in over the years.  Bowser would like to see the senior class participate in an event that “actively celebrates our link together.”

Recently, the number of Facebook notifications sent out regarding student grad parties have skyrocketed. Some seniors admit to getting at least two or three a day from fellow classmates.

Whether you’re planning on flying in Uncle Bob from Arkansas, or simply celebrating you’re graduation with mom and dad, graduation parties mean a variety of things for the senior class at Loy Norrix.

Senior Alexis Rumph is attending Grand Valley State University in the fall. She, like many of her classmates, is celebrating her graduation by hosting an open house. Rumph shared that having an open house for graduation is somewhat of a tradition in her family.

“If I didn’t have an open house my mom would probably have one without me,” she said.

Although Rumph does not have high expectations for her party like many students, she views it as a “quick way to make cash and the last time all of your friends will be in one place together.”

The graduation from high school marks both the ending and beginning of many things. The class of 2013 has been together for four years at Loy Norrix and plan to leave on a high note. Celebration of this memorable time is important, however, it is also important to remember who and what we are truly celebrating.