(Photo Illustration) A student drives her car while talking to someone on the phone. This violates Kelsey’s Law which prohibits drivers from using their cell phone while driving.
Scholarship rewards $5,000 to high school students for bringing awareness to distracted teen driving
Sophia Wrzesinski and Flora Harper March 21, 2024

The Kelsey’s Law scholarship is open for submissions until Mar. 31. Hosted by the Michigan Auto Law, the scholarship awards a total of $5,000...

What are Your Spring Break Plans?
What are Your Spring Break Plans?
Isaac Atkinson and Stan Thomas March 21, 2024

Red Cross Supervisor Cindy Vandermeer prepares Teya Dawson for her blood donation. Dawson was a first-time donor.
NHS hosts a successful blood drive, saving lives in and out of the community
Isabella Figueroa, Chief Copy Editor • March 21, 2024

“My dad and my mom both needed blood products when they were still living, so it's just really important to me so that the blood stays local,”...

Guest Article: Half-Blind But Wholly Happy

by Jillian Ko Freshman Taylor Krupianik shows her unique eye coloration. Her brown eye is completely blind while the lighter gray retains perfect vision.
by Jillian Ko
Freshman Taylor Krupianik shows her unique eye coloration. Her brown eye is completely blind while the lighter gray retains perfect vision.

By Jillian Ko

As soon as you look at Taylor Krupianik you’re drawn to her eyes, the right a silvery blue and the left a golden brown.

This unique difference in coloration is referred to as heterochromia iridum. Dr. Foster P. Carr from Health Tap Incorporated estimated the total percentage of humans with different eye colors to be less than one percent. However, in addition to her unusual trait, sixteen year-old Krupianik was born with a complete lack of vision in her left eye. She explained that her premature birth was the major cause behind her blindness.

“It’s really difficult ’cause there’s some things you can’t do,” Krupianik admitted about her condition. “It’s gonna be hard for me when I start driving.”

Other teenagers complain about having to go through driver’s education courses while Krupianik just wishes she could easily see the road. Although driving restrictions for the visually impaired vary from state to state, most states will allow people to drive so long as they have at least one functioning eye. Certain rules may apply, such as not being able to drive at night, reports Russell Huebsch, eHow Contributor. Usually, losing sight in an eye does not significantly impair the ability to drive a car.

Krupianik can’t participate in fun activities such as seeing three-dimensional movies since 3-D glasses rely on sight in both eyes. She described her friends’ unintentional exclusion of her when they go out because they “forget about [my blindness].”

“Sometimes I wish I had full vision just for a day so I could see what it’s like to see everything so clearly,” Krupianik confided.

Although most treat her with respect, there are some peers who act cruelly to Krupianik. “People like to sneak up by me ’cause they know I can’t see in [my left] eye,” she illustrated. “And sometimes they’ll cover my good eye and I won’t be able to see.”

Despite the difficulties her blindness has produced, Krupianik still enjoys writing and drawing. It helps her escape from stress and other frustrations. Her everyday problems are “normal,” consisting of watching over her three younger siblings and assisting her grandmother in coping with her grandfather’s lost battle against cancer.

She dreams of pursuing a career in cosmetology, her ability to style hair unaffected by her monocular vision. However, she agrees that many teens take full vision for granted.

Forced to tolerate her condition, Krupianik acknowledges her experiences, as they have helped her develop a mantra: “I don’t try to look forward…I want to see things as they happen. You never know what could happen that could change your life.”