Former Immigrant, Oscar Garcia living his day to day life. Garcia first immigrated to America in 1986.
Immigrant families face hardships when relocating
Lizzy Garcia, Guest Writer • April 19, 2024

In life, a handful of people are faced with making the decision of moving. Whether it be moving for job or education opportunities, a move like...

Tower Talk: What classes are you looking forward to next year?
Finn Bankston, Staff Writer • April 18, 2024

Loy Norrix Students Present Their Work Through Poetry Slam

To  the  far  left  is  second  place  winner,  sophomore  Khaleel  Cook.  In  the  middle  is  third  place  winner  Emily  Wigler.  On  the  far  right  is  first  place  winner  Daniel  Coffee. Photo Credit / Taylor Timmerman
To the far left is second place winner, sophomore Khaleel Cook. In the middle is third place winner Emily Wigler. On the far right is first place winner Daniel Coffee. Photo Credit / Taylor Timmerman

On  April  31,  2015  Loy  Norrix  had  a  poetry  slam  hosted  by  English  teacher  Ms.  Johnson  NHS  student  Samantha  Brown.  Five  students  performed  their  piece  in  front  of  friends  and  family.  Three  students  placed  first,  second  and  third  at  the  end  of  the  show.  Senior  Daniel  Coffee  took  first  place  at  the  end  of  the  night.

“In  all  honestly,  I’m  surprised  because  I  messed  up  a  few  times,  but  I  guess  they  didn’t  realize  it,”  Coffee  said.

Coffee  has  been  writing  poetry  and  songwriting  since  he  was  ten  years  old.  This  was  his  first  performance  in  front  of  judges.

Sophomore  Khaleel  Cook  took  second  place  in  this  competition  with  an  intense  performance. He  has  been  writing  poetry  and  songwriting  since  the  seventh  grade.

“I  feel  good  that  I  actually  did  it,”  Cook  said.

Freshman  Emily  Wigler  won  third  place.  She  has  been  writing  poetry  since  she  was  in  the  seventh  grade.  She  plans  to  continue  writing  poetry  as  a  side  hobby  when  she’s  older.

“I  feel  good  about  my  performance  tonight,”  Wigler  said.