Homecoming Now and Then

synquissa

Photo of Senior Ray'Von Jones. Photo Racheal Koole

By SynQuissa Morris

This year it seemed like every senior wanted to be on the homecoming court. Some people were doing everything they could to get nominated. There were t-shirts, cookies, cupcakes, flyers, stickers and even buttons going around.

Things were hectic just before nominations. All the runners wanted to get their names out there. Finally, at the end of the day, the nominees were announced, which started a whole other competition; who would win homecoming king and queen?

Students went all out this year, but homecoming was not always done the way it is now. Years ago when Robert Bradford, a current English and sociology teacher, attended Loy Norrix homecoming was completely different. He explained that there were also no juniors, sophomores or freshmen involved like there are now. When homecoming came around, students would write down the names of two senior girls and two senior boys. Six of those who were chosen the most would be the ones to be put on court.

Bradford disagrees with the way homecoming goes now. When he was in high school, homecoming was truly about the most popular students in the school were. There was no campaigning.

“You shouldn’t have to get people to vote for you,” said Bradford. “It’s silly that people are making posters and stickers, anyone could do that. It’s like running for an election.”

Another point made by Bradford was that the King and Queen were announced at the end of the game. That way the players who were on court wouldn’t miss half time meetings and people actually stayed for the whole game.