The forensics team mascot Loy enjoys Marquette Park after a successful tournament.  This plushie joins the Forensics Team in all of their tournaments throughout the season and has become a valuable member of the team.
Go goose: Forensics Team takes flight to Mackinac Island’s tournament
Josephine Velo and Amelia Wood May 28, 2024

On Friday, May 17, the Forensics Team piled onto the Mackinac ferry and said goodbye to the mainland. The fancy Grand Hotel, fudge and a...

A sign promotes a garage sale in the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. On Saturday, there were many signs around town promoting the sale.
The Westnedge Hill Neighborhood garage sales bring the community together in one special day
Rosie Hill and Alice Damashek May 28, 2024

Connecting with neighbors and spending time outside can be difficult nowadays. Weather, lack of neighborhood activities, construction, the growth...

Loy Norrix Athletic Director Andrew Laboe sends 10 Knights off to college at the annual signing day event.
Loy Norrix Athletics congratulates seniors playing sports in college
Ethan Williams and Max Berlin May 24, 2024

Student athletes ‘bounce back’ through adversity during the basketball season

Sophomore+Tamar+Stuart+warming+up+during+shoot-around+before+playing+Kalamazoo+Central.+Stuart+and+the+Knights+prepared+for+a+tough+match+up+against+the+Giants.++
Credit: Max Berlin
Sophomore Tamar Stuart warming up during shoot-around before playing Kalamazoo Central. Stuart and the Knights prepared for a tough match up against the Giants.

Freshman Jake Gagie has a unique way that he prepares for his game: he uses music and food to get in the zone.

“I have to have a nice pre-game meal, usually a Jimmy John’s sub, and I usually sit back and chat with people while listening to music,” said Gagie.

Freshman Jake Gagie warms up during halftime after scoring the first 15 points in the 1st quarter against the Portage Northern Huskies. After the first quarter, he added 8 points to his total in a dominant win over the Huskies. Credit: JD Locke

Gagie started the basketball season with a tough first game against Grand Rapids Union. After that game, he had something to prove to himself.

“I bounced back and scored 14 points on four three-pointers the next game,” Gagie said.

After that, Gagie had a very successful season, with a few 20-point games. Throughout the season, he led his team with the three-pointers he scored. 

“I have had a few great games this season, but the one that sticks out is Portage Northern,” said Gagie. “It was my mom’s birthday, and I felt I had to give her a nice 23-point performance, with the first 15 points being in the first three minutes.”

Even after those great games, Gagie constantly tries to improve his playing.

“I’m watching a lot more basketball and working hard throughout the season,” said Gagie.

Sophomore Tamar Stuart also prepares for his games using music, but in his own unique way.

Sophomore Tamar Stuart fights away a defender to try and get open during an inbound pass. These were the first minutes he had seen during the game.
Sophomore Tamar Stuart fights away a defender to try and get open during an inbound pass in the first minutes of the game. Credit: Max Berlin

“I like to listen to music to hype myself up and get stretched out by the trainer,” said Stuart. 

Stuart has had a few great games this year, but, like Gagie, his best game was against Portage Northern, where they fought hard and won by a score of 77-67.

“Against Portage Northern, we were down by a lot. I had to try my hardest to climb back into this game,” said Stuart. 

Stuart has struggled, but he continually trains in preparation for the game. To improve, Stuart likes to put extra work in to improve his game and gets tips from his coach.

“I like to do extra workouts and ask my coach to see what I need to improve or what to work on,” said Stuart.

As a team, the Norrix varsity men’s basketball has also worked together to improve.

“We had to bounce back from adversity because people doubted us, and now we are in the running for a district championship,” Stuart said, proving that putting in extra time and training can go a long way in helping both athletes and teams improve themselves.

View Comments (1)