Juniors Elizabeth Bierlein and William Dominianni at Loy Norrix Prom 2024 and the promposal at the Rootbeer Stand.
Promposals don't have to be expensive to be effective
Arianna Bonatti, Staff Writer • May 20, 2024

As time goes by, we get closer to one of the most awaited moments by students during the school year: prom season. For juniors and seniors,...

Carl C. Brigham, pioneer of psychometrics and creator of the SAT.
The outdated and racially biased SAT needs a complete overhaul or should be eliminated
Krystiana Bernstein, Staff Writer • May 20, 2024

Sleepless nights, stress eating, study sessions and cramming, matters that many Michigan juniors know all too well when preparing for the...

The Knights 4x800 relay team prepares for their race in the Don Lukens invitational.
Recap of Don Lukens Track and Field Meet
Ethan Williams and Max BerlinMay 17, 2024

The women’s tennis team takes the lead for their upcoming season

Credit: Sahriah Casey
Varsity tennis player Shiloh Schrader strikes the ball over the net in a 1v1 against Portage Northern. The match ended in a 6-2 win.

The tennis team has high hopes for their season, although they are off to a rough start. However, seniors Emma Doren and Lucy Langerveld have motivated the team with their three wins. “We are more prepared this season, and we have a smaller team to be more focused and intentional at practice,” said Doren. 

Tennis is a complicated game that requires a lot of speed, agility and brains. Each player either plays singles, meaning a one-on-one game, or doubles, meaning you have one partner the whole season who goes up with you against another set of players from the opposing team. The team is a no-cut sport which allows the program to continuously grow.

“One hundred percent of the players who have tried out make the team, this allows us constantly to bring in new players which really helps our chemistry,” said tennis coach Gloriana Fogarty.

In the previous season of 2022-2023, the team won 5-3 against one of Loy Norrix’s biggest rivals: Portage Northern. Recently, however, although the team fought hard, their game against Portage Northern resulted in a loss of 3-5. Despite this rough start, the team is dedicating themselves to improving for the end of the season.

Senior Shiloh Shrader and Ava Abate prepare themselves to play a doubles match against two opposing players. They’re both in a “ready” stance to take on the lead. (Credit: Sahriah Casey )

“I really just want to finish strong as this is my last year playing tennis,” said team captain Shiloh Shrader.  “For me, it’s all about having fun out there so just continuing to work on my skills each day is the best,” said 

Leadership and sportsmanship are crucial to the tennis team, as the players continue to remind themselves when playing a match. However, if another school doesn’t have the best sportsmanship, the women’s tennis players remain positive and respectful.

“It plays a huge role because you can win or lose, but if you don’t have sportsmanship, then it really doesn’t feel like you’re playing in the game,” said junior Audrey Buck.

With positive attitudes and good sportsmanship, the tennis players hope to be successful.

“I think we’re going to be the best we’ve been,” said Doren.