How Lily improves her writing despite dyslexia

Ava Anglin, Guest Writer

Imagine your letters constantly moving and flipping while you try to read them.

Sophomore Lily Stickley at Loy Norrix goes through this battle on a daily basis. Stickley discovered she had dyslexia in the second grade. She was having a hard time with spelling and she read slower than everyone else. Her parents jumped to find something to help her, she began tutoring and was tutored from second to fifth grade. Stickley and her tutor formed a tight bond, and they are still close to this day. Stickley is challenged to push her limits everyday and was excited to say she is now taking Advanced Placement Language and Composition as a sophomore.

Dyslexia is a common learning challenge that many students face to this day. It can cause problems with reading, writing, and spelling. Intelligence is not affected at all with this difficulty. Dyslexia is more common than it may seem. According to the website, DoSomething.org, one in five people suffer from dyslexia. Dyslexia is a lifelong and a hereditary disability. No one form of dyslexia is identical.

Stickley wants to become a writer when she is older. “Because to me creative writing  is really fun,” said Stickley.

Stickley exhibits a love for writing. Although she does not write as much anymore because she is currently suffering from writers’ block, her face lit up as she told her favorite memory of writing.  

With a gleaming smile she said, “When my friends and I were writing a memory back and forth all summer and it was like about a bunch of kids in this cave and one of the kids said, ‘I just want some pop tarts,’” Stickley laughed as she told her most unforgettable memory.

Stickley found her love for writing during the summer of eighth grade when she and her friend would text each other stories back and forth. Stickley ventured off on her own and began writing stories for her own personal enjoyment. Her parents were so proud of her for continuously trying. Stickley writes about teenagers who are facing a tough battle with addiction. Although she has not faced struggles with addiction herself, she has done a tremendous amount of research for her stories.

It may seem difficult but many professional writers have proven it possible to write with dyslexia. Professional writer Stephen J. Cannell struggles with dyslexia, as he uses his fame to bring awareness to the learning disability according to Degree Online. Stephen J. Cannell and Jeanne Betancourt and many other professional writers have experienced challenges with dyslexia.

Stickley plans to attend K College after she graduates from Loy Norrix. Although she does not know if they offer a writing program, she is set on K and would love to study there.

Stickley has to work harder than most when it comes to learning, with many challenging days, she’s has had times where she’s wanted to give up.

“I really wanted to give up with spelling. For me, spelling was something that took so long and I often got tired of having to try and try,” claimed Stickley.

Dyslexia has made Stickley stronger. Stickley had lots of love and support through her journey with dyslexia. Despite everything Stickley has been through with dyslexia, she continues to overcome it and continues with her passion for writing.