How quarantine changes students: Georgia Hutton’s evolution in isolation

Credit: Sarah Mcanelly

Georgia Hutton appears here in one of her new outfits. Wearing a sweater vest with a t-shirt underneath has emerged as a popular trend during quarantine.

Clara Moss, Social Media Editor

Students left school in March expecting to enjoy a two week vacation before going back to school. Instead, they were greeted with a six month stretch of first online school, then summer vacation, and finally online school again.
Obviously, this extended time with less social exposure and more time alone will have lasting effects on everyone, but particularly teenagers. With this new time at home, students are spending more time on social media, which one girl attributes to her style change.
Sophomore Georgia Hutton thinks that her time at home has changed her style and even her personality and music. Hutton used to only listen to indie music, but now there’s more of a range. She hasn’t stopped listening to any of her favorites from before quarantine, but said that she has picked up several new artists. Her new favorites include Mother Mother, Arctic Monkeys, the Honeysticks, Current Joys, and Bikini Kill.
At the beginning of quarantine, Hutton described her style as simple, minimal and girly. Now, it’s modified to be indie, consisting of brighter pieces and more accessories.
“I kinda just go anywhere,” Hutton mentioned about where she shops for clothes, listing thrift stores, some fast-fashion sites and even Spirit Halloween as her favorites.
“I was just a little boring,” Hutton remembered, contributing her style alteration to an edgy friend and use of the social media app TikTok, where Hutton claimed that she was exposed to her current style.
She isn’t the only person using the app more. An article from Oberlo, “10 TikTok Statistics That You Need to Know in 2020” lists some data about the app. Not only was the app downloaded 315 million times in the first quarter of 2020, “41 percent of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24.” In the absence of in-person human interaction, teenagers have turned to social media.
Hutton mentioned that she gets compliments on how she dresses in some places, but at other times will get judgemental stares.
“I think I feel more confident, but it really depends on where I am,” Hutton continued describing how this new clothing makes her feel. “When I’m on my own, though, I feel really confident.”
“My parents are pretty okay with it though, I know my mom thinks it’s cool.” Hutton said about how her parents feel. Even though Hutton said they might judge her, it’s just because they don’t understand.
Even with some judgement, Hutton feels that her style is completely worth it. Hutton even gave some advice for people who wish to change their style. The sophomore remarked that it’s best to just try to ignore what other people think, which is a skill you learn over time.
“Just have a good time with it,” Hutton advised, “If whatever you do, wear, etc. makes you happy, then that’s right for you.”
Hutton proves that isolation may be the perfect opportunity for students to explore who they truly are and who they want to be.