How online school has affected incoming freshmen

Freshman Isabella Ramsdell currently working on her schoolwork after a long day of school.

Maya Moore, Guest Writer

Nobody expected the coronavirus to have such a large impact on our education when they announced in-person school would no longer be taking effect back on March 11th, 2020. It became an even harder pill to swallow when we found out we’d have to transition from middle school to the lively teenage years of high school all while online. 

Freshman Isabella Ramsdell, leaving Maple Street Middle School having only a small friend group to rely on, explained what she has had to endure when entering Loy Norrix high school virtually. 

Going from 836 students at Maple to a larger number of over 1,600 students at Norrix, the opportunity to meet new people is bound to happen, but for Ramsdell that was not the case. 

“I don’t know anything about the school, teachers, or students,” said Ramsdell.

Norrix has many sports teams, clubs, and opportunities to connect with other students outside of class time, but Ramsdell feels as though she has “no idea what Norrix has to offer”. She has heard of other people’s exciting experiences at the new school, but she is upset that she doesn’t get to experience them for herself. 

“I was really looking forward to experiencing a home Norrix football game,” said Ramsdell. 

With COVID cases on the rise again and more limitations having been issued on November 18th, it’s uncertain if attending football games and school gathering will even be a possibility next year. 

Being in such uncertain times requires a lot of reassurance and support from administration. Rasmdell feels that there is a lack of communication coming from her new school. Sometimes her teachers will give her different information about the events going on throughout the week and it can be very confusing to follow. “It would help everyone if there was more structure and everyone was on the same page,” said Ramsdell. Although she wants to try to enjoy the beginning of her high school experience, she lacks motivation to get up in the morning and start her school day.

One positive Ramsdell claims to have experienced through her transition is the comforting environment created in her law class. Ramsdell feels at ease knowing she has the opportunity to share her views and opinions without being judged. Ramsdell has high hopes to soon get to experience the reputation Norrix has in person when it is safe to do so. She’s heard Norrix is a fun and supportive school community and knows she can improve her education journey when she attends in person.